Anime and manga are making their biggest resurgence yet, and Hollywood has taken notice. This year, projects like Alita: Battle Angel and Detective Pikachu proved the medium is heading in the right direction, but it is time for another genre to shine. Hollywood is ready to explore manga’s darker side as one of Junji Ito’s classic titles is about to get a live-action venture.
So, you better brace yourself. Tomie is coming to television, and the series will surely make your stomach churn.
According to Bloody Disgusting, Alexandre Aja will be directing the series for the platform Quibi. Horror fans will know the filmmaker best for his work on The Hills Have Eyes as well as High Tension. Aja is also set to executive produce the title with Sony Pictures Television and Universal Content Productions backing it.
David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (Aquaman) will be writing the series and help Aja executive produce. The pair will be joined by Hiroki Shirota who will co-produce the adaptation.
For those unfamiliar with the series, Tomie began as a manga series which Ito first published in 1987. The cult series follows a small town as they discover a beautiful girl attending a local high school is missing. When pieces of her body being appearing around town, the murder investigation spirals into something truly terrifying.
This is not the first time Tomie has been adapted. In the past, Japan made a live-action film series based on the horror manga, and a TV series was produced as well. Now, it seems Hollywood is ready to tackle the iconic horror tale, and it will bring Ito’s work into Hollywood for the first time.
So, are you excited to see how Hollywood’s horror sector will handle this Ito classic? Let me know in the comments or hit me up on Twitter @MeganPetersCB to talk all things comics and anime!
- World Bank pledges US$200b for climate action
- Bản in : Fisheries eye regional climate change adaptation
- Ecosystem-based adaptation project supports Vietnam’s climate change response
- Regional co-operation needed in climate change adaptation
- US-supported symposium boosts climate change action in VN region
- US calls for climate change action in VN
- Poor farmers lives improved since 2012
- Powerful tools introduced to value ecosystem services in development planning and investment decisions
- ADB helps three Vietnamese provinces develop green and resilient cities
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR JULY 10-20 (daily updated)
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 8/8
- Scenario for climate change response in Vietnam Sunday Show
- Struggling to cope with changing climate
- Social News 31/8
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 22/12
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 20/10
- Xe Om service enters digital age
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 21/10
- Government News 9/11
- WEF drives Vietnam to an Industry 4.0 future
Junji Ito's Tomie Developing Live-Action Adaptation With Director Alexandre Aja have 447 words, post on comicbook.com at July 24, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.