A 74-year-old woman has been left feeling “nauseous and dizzy” after a helicopter rescue in the US went wrong.
The woman was being airlifted off a mountain near Phoenix, Arizona for hospital treatment after suffering face and head injuries while hiking.
She then found herself in an out-of-control spin lasting around 40 seconds.
Video footage of the incident went viral and was viewed thousands of times after it was posted on ABC15’s Facebook page.
It shows the basket spinning at high speed as the helicopter tries to move away from Piestewa Peak.
Authorities say the woman was left feeling “nauseous and dizzy” but thankfully suffered “no ill effects from the spin”.
Phoenix Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Shelly Jamison said: “We do mountain rescues all of the time, but this particular one gathered quite a bit of attention because during the rescue, she was packaged on a hoist in a basket and she started to spin.”
The spinning is not unusual, Paul Apolinar, chief pilot of the police department’s aviation unit, explained. “We have a line attached to the basket that’s supposed to prevent that. Today it didn’t.”
In fact, the line broke, pilot Derek Geisel added.
At first, the basket and the woman swayed before starting to rotate at increasing speed as the chopper crew brought the basket closer to the rotors.
Mr Geisel said: “When they start to lower the load, [the basket] does actually start to stop. And then we slowly brought it back up, it gets into the same downwash from the aircraft and it started to spin again.”
“Once we got the forward flight, the spin got to the point where they were safely able to bring the patient up to the aircraft,” he added.
“[The potential for the basket to spin] is something that’s a known phenomenon in the hoist rescue industry,” Mr Apolinar said.
“It’s not something that’s inherent to the basket or inherent to the bag,” he said. “It’s just something that occurs every now and then and we train to deal with it.”
- Teen tells of horrifying moment driver ploughs into crowds at memorial event leaving spectators trapped and 5 injured
- Speeding car smash at memorial meet leaves spectator fighting for life
- Rescuers and injured skier reach Twizel Medical Centre
- Quake injured wait for help as new disaster overwhelms Haiti
- As a new disaster overwhelms Haiti, the injured lie waiting for help
- Woman watches house washed away by North Carolina flash floods in video
- JOURNEYS; Into the Wild Blue Yonder (No Airplane Required)
- SEAL Team 6: A Secret History of Quiet Killings and Blurred Lines
- Passenger trains collide in Czech Republic, killing 2
- Hollywood at a Fever Pitch
- Tucker Carlson: We must hold someone accountable for what is happening in Afghanistan
- Torrential rains lash wide areas of Japan, three feared dead after landslide
- How Cher turned back time for the world's loneliest elephants
- Rhythmic gymnastics upset: Israel beats Russia, wins gold
- Macomb Township Crime & Safety
- So Much for a ‘Foreign Policy for the Middle Class’
- Heat dome Lucifer continues to boil southern Europe with 100F temperatures as forecasters warn it will get even HOTTER
- The 80 best series to watch on Disney+ right now
- The 95 best shows on BBC iPlayer to watch right now
- Prince Harry's Afghanistan tours - 'horrendous' bomb deaths and 'blowing Taliban to bits'
Injured woman, 74, spins wildly at high speed in helicopter rescue basket have 603 words, post on news.sky.com at June 5, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.