Things are looking stormier for Michael Avenatti, who was charged Wednesday with embezzling funds from porn star Stormy Daniels, the very client who made him famous when he represented her in her legal battle with US President Donald Trump.
In a 16-page indictment Manhattan federal prosecutors accused infamous lawyer Avenatti of falsifying documents in order to directly pay himself about $300,000, originally intended for Daniels as part of an advance payment from her editor for her memoir.
Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, was not explicitly named in the indictment, which only refers to “Victim No. 1,” but multiple media outlets confirmed she was the client in question.
Avenatti denied the accusation on Twitter, writing that “no monies relating to Ms. Daniels were ever misappropriated or mishandled.”
He added he is confident he will be “fully exonerated.”
California-based Avenatti gained notoriety when he represented Daniels from February 2018 to February 2019 in her legal battles with Trump over hush money she received for an alleged affair with the president in 2006.
Known for his lavish lifestyle, Avenatti allegedly used the money he stole from Daniels to pay for various professional and personal expenses, including leasing a Ferrari.
If convicted, Avenatti faces up to 22 years in prison.
The accusation is the latest in a string of legal troubles for Avenatti.
A vocal Trump critic, Avenatti was arrested in November in Los Angeles for domestic violence, though he did not face felony charges.
He was then arrested in New York in March for allegedly attempting to extort millions of dollars from the sports apparel giant Nike.
And in April he was accused of 36 counts of embezzlement, financial and bank fraud and bankruptcy fraud in Los Angeles.
Avenatti faces 355 years in prison if convicted, though he has continued to maintain his innocence.
- Stormy Daniels’ lawyer Michael Avenatti ARRESTED and charged with extorting $20million from Nike
- Michael Avenatti Arrested After Alleged Extortion Attempt Against Nike
- Stormy Daniels’ former lawyer charged with fraud
- CNN Drops Contributor Mark Geragos, Accused Of Being Avenatti Co-Conspirator
- Michael Avenatti: Stormy Daniels lawyer accused of fraud
- Here are key takeaways from the criminal complaints against Michael Avenatti
- Michael Avenatti accuses Nike of "cover-up" amid extortion charges
- Michael Avenatti arrested over alleged $20 million extortion of Nike
- Michael Avenatti arrested on extortion, embezzlement charges
- Michael Avenatti arrested on federal charges stemming from two separate cases
- Stormy Daniels lawyer charged with trying to extort up to $26.5m from Nike
- Day after his own arrest, Avenatti accuses Nike of wrongdoing
- Michael Avenatti Speaks Out After Arrest: 'I'm Scared'
- Michael Avenatti arrested on extortion, fraud charges
- There’s More! Los Angeles Prosecutors Hit Michael Avenatti With Separate Federal Charges of Wire and Bank Fraud
- Michael Avenatti arrested for trying to extort Nike for up to $25M, SDNY says
- ‘Not F***ing Around’: Avenatti Charged For Extorting Nike, Bank Fraud
- Avenatti Facing A Lot Of Years Behind Bars
- Michael Avenatti, Mark Geragos accusations spark trouble for onetime CNN fixtures
- Lawyer Michael Avenatti Charged in $20M Nike Extortion
Lawyer Avenatti accused of embezzling from client Stormy Daniels have 480 words, post on en.rfi.fr at May 22, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.