War is not the way to solve the situation in Libya, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told reporters after meeting with the deputy prime minister and foreign minister of Qatar, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman Bin Jassim Al Thani.
At least 18,000 civilians have been displaced by fighting in Libya since the eastern-based military forces led by General Khalifa Haftar launched a military operation last week attempting to take over western Libya, the capital Tripoli in particular, where the government of Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, which is backed by the United Nations (UN), is based.
“We want an immediate cease-fire and we hope for the withdrawal of the (Haftar) forces,” Conte told reporters in a televised press conference. “We believe that dialogue is the only plausible and sustainable way forward…and we are working towards an inclusive solution under the aegs of the UN”.
“It is now clear that it’s not enough for all the Libyan players to be involved in the search for this solution, but members of the international community must also be involved,” Conte said, adding he will meet with Libyan Deputy Prime Minister Ahmed Maitig from the Sarraj government in Rome Monday evening.
“It would be reductive and simplistic to paint a picture of the Libyan situation that only includes Haftar and Sarraj,” Conte continued. “There are foreign global players that are weighing strongly in this situation.”
The Italian prime minister went on to say that “we must avert what could be a devastating humanitarian crisis, not only for the obvious effects it would have on Italy and the European Union, since we are located a few kilometers from the Libyan coast, but in the interests of the Libyan people.”
In its latest report dated April 14, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that 48 casualties have been confirmed, with “frontline and referral hospitals in Tripoli and surrounding areas are receiving daily casualties (which) are expected to increase further given the continued use of air strikes and heavy artillery.”
Over 2,500 civilians fled hostilities in the past 24 hours, raising the total number of people displaced to approximately 18,250, OCHA said.
Italy, who backs the Sarraj government, opened an embassy in Tripoli in 2017 and has a 300-member military task force stationed there.
- Vietnamese PM's remarks at opening ceremony of 36th ASEAN Summit
- Revealed: Developers PM backed when London mayor give almost £1m to Tories
- Robert Jenrick: What did housing secretary do and why are there calls for him to quit?
- Boris Johnson says employees should STILL work from home - even though senior MPs and HR experts say PM must send the country back to the office to save the economy
- Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings rejects calls to quit as PM's chief adviser
- Boris blasts Sweet Chariot ban: PM says there should be 'no prohibition' on England rugby fans singing anthem in wake of BLM protests because 'nobody seems to know the words'
- MPs call for drastic action against prorogation of parliament
- Spain says 'we can't be Europe's sea rescue service': Second EU stand-off on migrants as Madrid REFUSES to take 230 from NGO boat - forcing Italy to cave in and accept some despite deputy PM's claim to have halted 'invasion'
- The lockdown worked. It helped battle Covid-19, turn India self-reliant
- Top diplomats of Vietnam, Russia talk strengthening bilateral cooperation
- Galwan River Valley: An important history lesson
- ASEAN 2020: Member nations discuss important cooperation issues
- North Korea says no need for talks with US
- The Latest: SKorea weighs listing churches as ‘high risk’
- The Latest: California advises against holiday gatherings
- Eurozone crisis live: Mario Monti to lead centrist coalition into Italian elections
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: May 3-4
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 4
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 28
- Boris's school reopening plans in chaos as top scientific adviser admits there is 'low confidence' pupils cannot spread coronavirus and ministers have NO idea if it will trigger a second wave in 'disturbing' Commons appearance
Italy PM calls for Libya ceasefire after meeting with Qatari deputy PM have 642 words, post on famagusta-gazette.com at April 15, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.