When Zack Snyder took the reins of the DC Extended Universe by directing Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Justice League he made some controversial decisions. One of the most controversial was allowing DC Comics’ most recognizable superheroes to kill. In Man of Steel, Superman snaps General Zod’s neck after the villain forces his hand by threatening an innocent bystander. Batman also kills during the events of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. For some, Superman’s decision wasn’t an easy one, and Batman’s use of lethal force further grounds him in reality. For others, allowing these heroes to kill betrayed everything they were supposed to symbolize. It’s a topic of debate even today, years later.
Vero is hosting The Director’s Cuts, a three-night event playing all of the director’s cuts of any Snyder film that has one: Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Snyder is in attendance and taking questions from fans after the screenings. During one of these Q&A sessions, he commented on his decision to have Batman killing foes on the big screen.
“Someone says to me: [Ben Affleck’s] Batman killed a guy. I’m like, F**k, really? Wake the f**k up,” Snyder said. “I guess that’s what I’m saying. Once you lost your virginity to this fucking movie and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.’ I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the f**king road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are innocent’…That’s cool. But you’re living in a f**king dream world.”
Snyder’s vision for the DC Extended Universe was cut short when Warner Bros. replaced him with Joss Whedon to direct Justice League‘s reshoots. Snyder has continued to look back on the project though, releasing storyboard artwork and even trolling Warner Bros. Fans have rallied in support of Snyder with the “Release the Snyder Cut” campaign, an effort to see Snyder’s version of the movie finished and released in a similar fashion to the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition. Snyder previously offered his thanks for the extreme measures some of those fans have gone to in their efforts.
What do you think of Snyder’s decision to have Batman kill in the DC Extended Universe? Let us know in the comments.
Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode, we talk about Dragon Ball Super maybe returning, we’re breaking down Kofi’s trip to the set of Godzilla: King of the Monsters and more! Make sure to subscribe now and never miss an episode!
- Ben Affleck axed as Batman as new film will feature younger actor playing caped crusader
- Who will play Batman in the next movie as Ben Affleck steps down?
- Ben Affleck opens up on why he quit Batman role: ‘I couldn’t crack it’
- When Armie Hammer played Batman: inside George Miller's aborted Justice League movie
- Next Batman movie won't feature Affleck
- Top actors to replace Ben Affleck after his exit from The Batman
- Ben Affleck explains why he quit as Batman: "I couldn't crack it"
- DC's The Batman has a release date
- Fall of Fugitive ‘Batman’ Puts Global Oil Trading on the Spot
- Have you taken part in the Veganuary challenge?
- Film: Slow-moving, over-long Aquaman drowns in a sea of special effects trickery
- Aquaman was once a the butt of the joke, now he's all muscles and raw charisma
- Can Aquaman and Wonder Woman save the DC superhero universe?
- Aquaman makes a huge splash! Screen Talk with Gareth Jamieson
- Who is Jason Momoa on The Graham Norton Show?
- Who is Wunmi Mosaku? Idris Elba’s new sidekick DS Catherine Halliday in Luther
- Jason Momoa upstaged by children as he leads haka at Aquaman premiere
- Aquaman is a box office monster, thanks to female fans
- Jason Momoa smolders in resurfaced Baywatch photos from 2000
- What’s happened to M. Night Shyamalan?
Zack Snyder Comments on Having Batman Kill in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' have 746 words, post on comicbook.com at March 28, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.