Nintendo debuted the new Pokemon RPGs coming to Nintendo Switch this year during its special Pokemon Nintendo Direct. In the process, it revealed a lot about its new setting. Pokemon Sword and Shield are set in the Galar region, and the gameplay video gives some sense of the real-life setting that inspired it.
Based on what we’ve seen so far, Galar looks to be very heavily inspired by the UK. It’s full of cottages and Victorian architecture, and an overview even showed a tall clock tower that appears similar to the famous Big Ben tower in London, England. The setting also appears to offer a variety of weather types, including winter weather that requires a change of clothes. You might also notice some mysterious symbols scattered throughout; we’re not sure if they have any significance at this point, but they could prove to be significant.
The names “Sword” and “Shield” also invoke imagery of Medieval knights, often associated with English history. In a tweet from 2018 that may have slyly teased the game, Game Freak specifically tagged Nintendo of Europe. At one point in the trailer the player character dons a soccer-like uniform and enters a huge stadium, which contributes to the European feel.
This wouldn’t be the first time Pokemon has been set in a region inspired by Europe. While many of the earlier Pokemon RPGs have been set in areas based on Japanese settings, the Kalos region of Pokemon X and Y was based on Paris and the surrounding French countryside. Other notable non-Japanese regions have included Unova from Black and White (based on New York City) and Alola from Sun and Moon (based on Hawaii).
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]
- Recovery under way in New York region hit by flash flooding
- Looks familiar: Austin in the 1970s
- New York's cool new Michael Jackson mural might look familiar to Minnesotans
- Pittsfield American All-Stars fall to Coventry in Little League New England Regional title game
- South Burlington Little League drops first game at New England regionals
- Knicks’ new rebounding machine looks to reboot career
- Rep. Cedric Richmond apologizes to Kellyanne Conway for joking she looked ‘familiar’ kneeling on couch
- Game plan for No. 12 UCF, No. 16 Memphis might look familiar
- Look familiar? Guess again. These films set in Arizona weren't filmed in Arizona
- Iconic uniforms have defined the New York sports look for years