Millions of people are thought to have tuned into a concert by DJ Marshmello in the wildly popular online game Fortnite.
The American electronic music producer and DJ performed live in the game at 2pm EST on Saturday, in a virtual reality spectacle that was lauded by fans.
Fortnite: Battle Royale, a free online video game released in 2017, allows up to 100 characters to fight for survival on a dystopian island. According to the game’s developer, Epic Games, it had more than 200 million registered users worldwide in November, making it the world’s most popular video game.
Footage of the performance posted on social media showed in-game avatars dancing enthusiastically throughout the 10-minute show, in which weapons were disabled.
Tweeting after the performance, Marshmello – whose real name is Christopher Comstock – said: “We made history today! The first ever live virtual concert inside of Fortnite with millions of people in attendance. So insane, thank you Epic Games and everyone who made this possible!”
He added: “What makes me happiest about today is that so many people got to experience their first concert ever. All the videos I keep seeing of people laughing and smiling throughout the set are amazing. Man I’m still so pumped.”
In October, Epic Games was valued at almost $15bn (£11.7bn) after receiving a $1.25bn cash injection led by the private equity firm KKR. The company’s value had soared from an estimate of $4.5bn in May.
Although the game is free to download, it makes money by charging players for costumes and other accessories in a virtual in-game currency.
- Netflix Wants To Make A ‘Squid Game’ Video Game
- Winners and losers from NFL Week 6, plus Cowboys make history against Bill Belichick and Bills-Titans picks
- World Series: Braves' Jorge Soler makes history with leadoff home run in Game 1 vs. Astros
- World Series 2021: Braves' Jorge Soler makes history with leadoff home run in Game 1 vs. Astros
- Gov. Jared Polis lands cover of Out Magazine as a “gay gamer making history”
- Chicago Sky hand Phoenix Mercury largest defeat in WNBA Finals history in Game 3 win
- Mariano Rivera makes history as Major League Baseball unveils Hall of Fame Class of 2019
- Shohei Ohtani makes history with distinguished Commissioner's Award
- UL special teams standout T.J. Wisham to make history as first football player crowned homecoming king
- Braves' Sean Kazmar makes history with first MLB appearance in more than 12 years
- Sabrina The Teenage Witch star Melissa Joan Hart makes history after winning over $1million on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune
- Strictly Come Dancing 2021 – Fans ‘hope’ Giovanni & Rose ‘fall in love’ as pair make history by scoring the earliest 40
- NSW batsman Daniel Hughes makes history as concussion sub
- Curtis Campher makes history as Ireland win at canter over Netherlands in T20 World Cup opener
- American gymnasts win five medals, make history at 2021 World Championships
- She’s Making History in Opera. Can She Help Ensure Its Future?
- Mohamed Salah makes history in Liverpool’s Champions League victory over Atletico Madrid
- Fortnite to be shut down for real… in China
- Games Inbox: Shutting down Fortnite, COD: Vanguard honour system, and Daredevil: The Video Game
- The Rarest Fortnite Skins of All Time | Digital Trends
Marshmello makes history with first ever Fortnite in-game concert have 543 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 3, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.