Game development is strange. A lot of time and energy goes into creating concepts and models that have a pretty high chance of being cut during development. Because of this, it makes sense that developers save scrapped ideas they put a lot of resources into for future titles. It appears that Respawn’s popular new battle royale game, Apex Legends, used this trick for the character Bloodhound, who appears in Titanfall‘s concept art.
The early character art shows a nearly-completed model for Bloodhound that’s almost exactly like the one featured in Apex Legends, though this iteration features the character wielding both a rifle and a bow. Had the original Titanfall featured a real story mode, Bloodhound seems like the type of character that would have appeared, given the context of Titanfall‘s universe. It’s also fairly odd that the character didn’t make an appearance in the Titanfall 2 campaign, as the character would fit well with the story’s themes of exploration and survival.
So far, Apex Legends has been a hit. It’s managed to reach more than 10 million players in the short time since its surprise launch, and even helped EA’s share price surge back after an intense drop. It’ll be interesting to see how the game fares long-term against bigger competition like Fortnite, but so far Respawn is doing a great job of keeping its players engaged and entertained, and will likely continue to do so if content like the leaked ranked mode turn out to be real.
With Respawn stating that it plans on Apex Legends being a 10-year game, it seems pretty likely that other unused character concepts may eventually become a reality within the game. There are a ton of different possibilities that would fit well within the title, and new character updates are arguably the best way to keep fans coming back for more rounds, besides the addition of Solo and Duo play.
Hopefully, Respawn is able to keep fans happy with Apex Legends. Maybe it will be enough to drum up more excitement for the Titanfall premium game releasing in 2019.
Apex Legends is available to download now on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
- Baldness could be treated with drug originally designed to tackle brittle bones, scientists say
- Design takes pole position in Nigeria
- By Design: 2019 Rolls-Royce Cullinan
- Summer in the city of design
- Tokyo 2020 mascot designer drew inspiration from his ‘scenic route’ to success
- V&A's Frida Kahlo exhibition launches a summer of design inspired by the Mexican artist and feminist icon
- Bloodhound car to attempt land speed record next year
- Dragon Ball Legends APK – Direct Download for Android
- Vivo Apex FullView pop-up camera phone might have a release date
- Vivo's all-screen, popup camera, Apex concept phone becomes a reality on June 12