A VICTIM of upskirting who helped make it a criminal offence has relived the horrifying moment a festival-goer took a picture up her skirt.
Gina Martin was with her sister waiting for The Killers at Hyde Park’s British Summer Time festival when two men started chatting them up.
But when the 27-year-old tried to shirk the men off, one of them took a photo up her skirt in broad daylight and sent it to his friends.
Gina, from Northwich, Cheshire, told Lorraine today: “These guys were hitting on me continuously and I’d said no about as many times as you can before getting very angry.
One brushed up against me I thought nothing of it in a crowd of 60,000 people.
“Then I saw one of the guys on his phone in front of me… and he had this very well taken photo of a girl’s crotch and genitals – and I realised it was me immediately.
“And he shared it with everyone. So I grabbed the phone and said why are you taking a picture up my skirt?
“It got the attention of the people around me and they pushed him away and I was able to run to the police. He ran after me and we got into a scuffle.
“I handed police the phone and they said there’s not much we can do and that’s when I started the campaign.”
I saw one of the guys on his phone in front of me… and he had this very well taken photo of a girl’s crotch and genitals – and I realised it was me immediately.
Gina Martin, a victim of upskirting
Gina posted images on social media showing the two men in the background of the photo and attracted a barrage of feedback, both positive and negative.
She started campaigning to get the law changed after realising it wasn’t already a criminal offence in England and Wales.
The “voyeurism” offence only covers crimes where someone observes another person “doing a private act” for sexual gratification and without consent.
But this doesn’t cover the majority of upskirting cases, which are often taken in public places such as the Tube or the London Underground.
Another offence – “outraging public decency” – also doesn’t cover the majority of case of up-skirting, which is thought to affect hundreds of women a year.
Despite trolling, Gina continued to fight to make upskirting a criminal offence and on Tuesday – after an 18-month campaign – the Voyeurism Bill was passed.
It mean perverts who take pictures up women’s skirts now face up to two years in jail.
The bill is expected to get its rubber stamp of approval with its Royal Assent by the spring.
Gina added: “I’m glad it happened to me and not a younger girl because I could do something about it.
Snow already blanketing UK before -11C FREEZE tonight – and MORE is on the way
WHO DARES WINS
SAS hero led charge into Kenya hotel to kill terrorists and save victims
BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW
Woman lived with entire Tramadol packet in her throat for 17 DAYS
I was beaten by lover weeks after he was released from jail for attacking ex
‘They copulate and defecate’
Brit in NZ rampage from traveller camp that plagues villagers
Student ‘raped’ & murdered in Oz as sister listens helplessly on FaceTime
“This is happening to kids and women and teachers. Its happening now.”
The freelance writer added that since successfully spearheading her campaign, she wouldn’t rule out a career in politics.
She said: “Before I was too scared. I’m not going to rule it out.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.
- 'Hell Has No Wrath Like A Millennial Scorned': Lawyer Suing Fyre Festival Gives Updates On Case
- Philip Seidle, NJ killer cop: Ex-wife 'did not become a victim until I killed her'
- Hazing, heartbreak and, finally, helping: What's next for Nolan Burch's family
- Second Take: Failed Fyre Festival scrutinized in competing Hulu and Netflix documentaries
- Ted Bundy’s living victim didn’t let traumatic attack ruin her life
- Section 8 vouchers are supposed to help the poor reach better neighborhoods. Texas law gets in the way.
- Netflix, Hulu films offer 8 burning lessons from disastrous Fyre Fest
- Most Influential 2018: Meet the top 100 influencers in Orange County
- How far do free speech protections go in the US?
- ‘He would listen’: Chief Harrison leaves legacy of openness to change
- 23 Amazing Things to Do in NYC This Weekend, Jan. 24-27
- Tot’s killer gets 65-year sentence for
- D.C. Memo: President Individual 1
- Misogynoir, Celebrity Worship Made The Media Botch Reporting On R.Kelly-Aaliyah 'Marriage'
- Italy must pay Amanda Knox damages
- 'A battle for the soul of America'
- America Is Racist. So What Do We Do Now? Activist Lawyer Bryan Stevenson Has Some Answers
- Uber driver admits murdering six people
- Which 2020 Candidates Won 2018?
- Life Begins at Sixteen
Upskirting victim who helped make it criminal offence reveals horrifying moment festival-goer took pic up skirt have 844 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 17, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.