NEW YORK – Thunder bolts and lighting rocked the 76th Golden Globes where a string of upsets culminated with the Freddie Mercury biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody” winning best picture, drama, over another movie about musicians: Bradley Cooper’s much more heavily favored “A Star Is Born.” “A Star Is Born” came into Sunday’s ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, as the presumed heavyweight and Oscar favorite. But Cooper’s remake went home with just one award, for the song “Shallow.” Instead, the night’s final two awards went to “Bohemian Rhapsody” – the popular but poorly reviewed drama about Queen’s frontman, a movie that wrapped after jettisoning its director, Bryan Singer – and best actor-winner Rami Malek for his full-bodied, prosthetic teeth-aided performance as Mercury. “Thank you to Freddie Mercury for giving me the joy of a lifetime,” Malek said. “This is for you, gorgeous.” Few nominees were considered more of a sure thing than Lady Gaga as best actress in a drama. But Glenn Close pulled off the shocker in that category, too, for her performance in “The Wife,” as the spouse of a Nobel Prize-winning author. Met with a standing ovation, Close said she was thinking of her… Read full this story
- Golden Globes: Idris Elba's daughter Isan, 17, dazzles as the awards show's 2019 Ambassador as her proud dad shows his support for her on stage
- Taron Egerton thanks Elton John in Golden Globe win for playing him: 'Thank you for being my friend'
- After Golden Globes, Oscars could be in the eye of the storm due to lack of gender & ethnic diversity
- Golden Globes 2020: Laverne Cox, 47, manages to fit THREE people under her orange gown as she makes a glamorous arrival at InStyle after party
- The Golden Globes condemned and celebrated Hollywood excess. It was great fun: Review
- Angelina Jolie Graces the Golden Globes Red Carpet — with Son Pax as Her Date
- Brits win big at the Golden Globes 2017! Live updates
- Golden Globes 2020 Snubs:
- Regina King looks chic in a pink pantsuit at If Beale Street Could Talk screening after Golden Globe win
- A real life Wonder Woman! Gal Gadot makes a sophisticated arrival on the Golden Globes red carpet
Mamma Mia! 'Rhapsody' upsets 'Star Is Born' at Golden Globes have 356 words, post on www.daily-chronicle.com at January 6, 2019. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.