The year in theater in New Orleans goes down as a generally good one. The various companies around town have presented works up to the standards that audiences have come to expect, and, at times, have greatly exceeded those expectations. Several troupes took advantage of the tricentennial of the city’s founding to offer new, original works that were completely local creations. There were, along the way, some missteps in various aspects of casting, direction or execution of ideas, but few outright flops were seen in 2018.Southern Rep Theatre has finally moved in to its new home on Bayou Road amid great celebration and some fine performance, the metro area still needs more dedicated stage venues. Productions in particular need are those that cannot fill a huge space, but need more than 40 or 50 seats just to have a chance of breaking even. No matter how fancifully named, someone’s garage or the backroom of a bar, just isn’t cutting it. Secondly, the continued undercutting of other’s efforts by various members of the local theater community, ranging from simple badmouthing someone else’s show to outright attempts to sabotage other productions, reflects poorly on the entire scene. Such foolish rivalries are pointless,… Read full this story
- Drew Brees profile: New Orleans Saints hero united the city after devastating Katrina
- Drew Brees profile: New Orleans Saints hero united devastated city after Hurricane Katrina
- New Orleans Saints vs Minnesota Vikings: Drew Brees’ irresistible force meet the Vikings ferocious defence in tie of the weekend
- Aston Martin launch new extreme high-performance brand at Geneva Motor Show
- Manufacturing output eases to eight-month low as rise in new orders countered by production slowdown
- Am dram star of the week in The New Kinver Players's production of Death on the Nile
- New Year celebrations around the world
- New Wolsey’s Young Company celebrate 10th anniversary with revival of Woyzeck
- Theatre Fest West returns to Salisbury for 7th year
- Baker Greggs plans new shops in 'record year of investment'
The year in theater in New Orleans: Fine performances, productions have 324 words, post on www.nola.com at December 29, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.