After weeks of speculation, Marvel Studios finally dropped the Avengers 4 trailer on Friday morning to show fans they can expect from the end of the saga that started back in 2008.
While there wasn’t any action to show, the heroes left behind at the end of Infinity War (save for a couple) were front and center as they deal with the aftermath of Thanos’ tyranny.
Returning faces, confirmed “deaths” and new duds are the major spots of the Avengers: Endgame trailer. But many of the happenings require some comic book background or a reminder of what happened in the films after Infinity War , namely in Ant-Man and the Wasp .
Here’s an explainer of the changes going on in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Tony Stark is alone in ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Screenshot/Marvel Studios
TONY STARK’S LAST DAYS?
The Avengers: Endgame trailer begins the same way Marvel Studios started, with Tony Stark.
Iron Man records a message to his partner, Pepper Potts, saying that he’s been adrift in space after the fight with Thanos concluded. Food and water ran out four days ago and oxygen will run out the next morning. He’s been drifting in space hoping to be rescued but with half the universe gone, his odds are slim.
There is a ship full of Asgardians that haven’t been accounted for though. So perhaps there is still hope for the Iron Man.
Shuri is gone too? Screenshot/Marvel Studios
SHURI AND THE MISSING HEROES
Thanos’ snap made half of the universe disappear at the end of Infinity War , which Black Widow confirms in this new trailer. There’s a shot of Bruce Banner looking at the missing heroes, which includes Scott Lang/Ant-Man, Shuri and Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
We all knew Spider-Man bit the dust (or turned into it), but Shuri falling to the “snappening” was never shown on-screen and seemingly confirms she’s gone like her brother, T’Challa.
Lang being on the Avengers missing list is interesting considering what we know from his last movie and what we see at the end of the Endgame trailer.
Hawkeye has a new super suit Screenshot/Marvel Studios
While the Avengers’ numbers have dwindled, the OG team is still intact. Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Black Widow are still around but Hawkeye was noticeably absent from Infinity War .
Hawkeye did retire to be with his family after a brief return in Captain America: Civil War but the archer hasn’t been seen until now. While in Japan, Black Widow is seemingly saved by a sword-wielding man who reveals himself to be her old friend, Clint Barton.
Clint has a new suit and has traded his bow for a sword. What’s that about? Well, in the comics Hawkeye does go through a change in identity after the events of the comic book version of Civil War. He goes by the name Ronin, an alias he inherits from a deaf woman named Maya Lopez. The story behind the MCU’s Ronin is unclear, but Clint’s return is a welcome sign for the Avengers.
Glad Scott got out of the Quantum realm. Screenshot/Marvel Studios
Scott Lang was on the Avengers missing list during the Endgame trailer, but those who watched Ant-Man and The Wasp know that he wasn’t “killed” by Thanos. In the post-credits scene for the film, Scott travels into the Quantum realm to retrieve Quantum healing particles.
Janet Van Dyne, Hank Pym and Hope are waiting to bring Scott back when the “snappening” happens and takes the three away leaving Ant-Man alone in the Quantum Realm without a means to escape. It’s a dark moment, but the Endgame trailer ends with Scott knocking on the Avengers’ door.
Somehow, Scott escaped, but more importantly he brings the van that has all the Quantum tech in it. The Avengers can hopefully use this technology to find Thanos and put a stop to him.
Avengers: Endgame will release in theaters, April 26, 2019.
What did you think of the trailer? What do you think happens when Avengers 4 drops? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer hints at a future beyond Infinity War
- Ant-Man 2: New trailer for MCU's first post-Avengers Infinity War film released
- Meet Ghost in the brand-new ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ trailer
- Ant-Man and the Wasp skipped 'Avengers: Infinity War' but their movie trailer is here
- ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ Gets a New Trailer
- A guide to 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- What if this ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ trailer scene actually teases Part 2?
- 6 new movie trailers you need to watch from this past week
- Every Marvel superhero movie, definitively ranked (including 'Avengers: Infinity War')
- Here are all the Avengers who just died in Infinity War – and why it might not matter
- Avengers Infinity War: Why haven't we seen Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye yet?
- Avengers: Infinity War deaths ranked from least to most likely
- After Avengers: Infinity War, We're Dying to Have These Questions Answered
- Avengers: Infinity War post-credits scene explained
- What you should know before seeing Avengers: Infinity War
- 8 new movie trailers you need to watch from this past week
- What if Avengers: Infinity War had a Bollywood cast?
- Avengers 4: Here's what we know about the movie so far
- Your guide to summer movies, from ‘Avengers’ to ‘Solo’ to ‘Mamma Mia’
- Avengers: Infinity War; Marvel heroes together en masse
‘Avengers: Endgame’ Trailer Explained: Shuri, Ronin, Ant-Man and More have 891 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 7, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.