Several veteran voice actors have begun an initiative to improve the scripting abilities of game developers.
Voice actresses Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect) , Cissy Jones (Darksiders III) and Sarah Elmaleh (Gone Home) have spearheaded the Specialized Workshops And Actor Tactics (SWAAT) program. SWAAT is part the Halp Network, a trusted network for creative industry professionals and vendors. SWAAT aims to provide developers with “specialized training to help hone in on issues with script writing, actor blocking, and character development.”
All three actresses, along with the other team members involved in SWAAT, are pledging to provide their years of experience as a service for scriptwriters, along with offering Virtual Table service for developers outside of the organization’s home base of Los Angeles, California. Sessions are scheduled to last for two hours at a time, and the first two sessions of any project are free.
All members of the SWAAT program are SAG-AFTRA union members, but developers are under no pressure to hire SAG-AFTRA members for their games. Members of the project also don’t need to be a part of the union either.
Currently, SWAAT is available by referral only, though there are plans for it to expand further in the future.
With video games as a growing artistic medium, the experience of actresses and actors who have been involved with voice-over, motion capture and more are invaluable. I am all for game developers improving their skills through collaboration. If voice actors and actresses can help them do that, how can this not be a net positive?
Plus you are getting the benefit of veterans like Hale, Jones, and Elmaleh who are leading the charge for these lessons. If anything, this will be a net positive for the gaming industry, as budgets increase and the use of voice-over and motion capture become homogenized in the industry.
What do you think though? Is SWAAT a good idea? Leave your comments below.
Have a tip for us? Awesome! Shoot us an email at [email protected] and we’ll take a look!
Robert GrossoStaff Writer
A game playing, college teaching, erudite-minded scholar who happens to write some articles every so often. Have worked as a journalist, critic, educator and blogger for over five years now, with articles published (as user editorials) on Game Revolution and Giant Bomb as well as a contributor for the websites Angry Bananas and Blistered Thumbs. Now making TechRaptor my home.
report this ad
- Veteran Bengali actress Supriya Devi passes away
- Naruto Voice Actress Recalls First Day Recording the Series
- Groundbreaking Set For Improvements To Clearwater's North Marina
- Google Upgrade Set to Improve 10 Percent of Searches
- Gurugram’s air quality worsens due to slow wind, set to improve over weekend
- When Hollywood came to Sydney! Legendary TV actresses Barbara Eden and Barbara Feldon touch down ahead of the Supernova fan convention
- MemorialCare & Anthem Blue Cross Offer OC's First Enhanced Personal Health Care Program to Improve Health, Coordination of Medical Services
- New Development Company Breaks Ground in Sarasota County
- Averil Christens-Barry Joins NKF-MD as Development Manager
- Chatsworth-Based JDC Construction + Development Group Restoring Eight Significant Apartment Communities in Northern and Southern California