Blizzard’s World of Warcraft-themed collectible card game Hearthstone has hit 100 million players worldwide.
To celebrate this achievement, Blizzard will be holding a special in-game event from November 7th to November 11th. They’re calling this event the “100 Million Players Celebration Event” (for some reason). Players who log in during the event will be given six free card packs from the newest Hearthstone expansion, The Boomsday Project. In addition to this, there will be a series of event quests added to the game, titled “Celebrate the Players”. Completing these quests will allow players to earn up to 500 gold, which can be spent on card packs and participating in the game’s Arena mode.
In a press release, J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment, called the 100 million player mark a “huge milestone for Hearthstone“, adding that Blizzard is thrilled players around the world “have embraced the spirit of the game”. Brack says events like BlizzCon and Fireside Gatherings, in which “innkeepers” around the world host Hearthstone tournaments at real-life venues, are “so inspiring”, and that they represent players and fans “coming together…to participate in the Hearthstone community”.
Hearthstone was originally released back in March 2014 as a World of Warcraft collectible card game (CCG) spinoff. The project was a deliberate attempt by Blizzard to downsize its development somewhat, as it saw the rising popularity of indie games and wanted to give a smaller group of developers within the company an opportunity to create something a little less big than its usual offerings. By the end of March 2014, the free-to-play game had over 10 million accounts registered. Since its release, it has seen a number of expansion packs and extra content added to its core.
The 100 Million Players Celebration Event runs from November 7th to November 11th, so log in between those dates if you want to grab some free goodies. Hearthstone can be downloaded for free on PC, iOS devices, and Android devices. A new expansion for the game, Rastakhan’s Rumble, is due out in December.
Will you be logging in to Hearthstone to grab your free cards? Are you a lapsed player? Let us know in the comments below!
Have a tip for us? Awesome! Shoot us an email at [email protected] and we’ll take a look!
Joe AllenStaff Writer
Dark Souls changed my life, and I’m here to spread the good news. I like pretty much all sorts of games, but I judge everything by its proximity to our Lord and saviour, Dark Souls.
- Psy's "Gentleman" hits 100 million YouTube views
- Truecaller hits 100 million daily active users globally
- Truecaller hits 100 million active users globally
- The Amazon stat long kept under wraps is revealed: Prime has over 100 million subscribers
- Amazon Prime service has 100 million members, reveals CEO Jeff Bezos
- Tanzania: JPM Awards Gemstone Discoverer 100 Million/-
- New Mexico Cannabis Program on Pace to Break $100 Million
- Earl causes losses of over $100 million in agriculture
- How Drybar Founder Alli Webb Turned a Simple Concept into a $100 Million Empire
- Lance Armstrong agrees to pay $5 million to settle $100 million federal lawsuit