The next team to have their name and branding revealed for the Overwatch League is the Guangzhou Charge according to an announcement on the league’s official website.
The Guangzhou Charge is the second Chinese team to join the Overwatch League, joining the Shanghai Dragons from the first season. Two other Chinese teams (representing Hangzhou and Chengdu) are part of the eight expansion teams that have been added to Blizzard Entertainment’s homegrown esports league for its second season.
The announcement was echoed on the team’s official Twitter with a launch video and branding reveal:
The mix of dark blue, light blue, and teal coloration was inspired by the hills, skies, and waterways of the Guangzhou region. Their name was taken from a desire to be “at the forefront of innovation” according to a press release from the team. The team’s league skins were shown off with Moira and Hanzo in the announcement.
This marks the fourth of eight teams to be revealed. A leak popped up a couple of days ago purporting to show seven of the eight expansion teams logos and names. The Guangzhou Charge matches the leak to a T, further adding to its credibility.
If the leak is accurate, the next four teams should be the Chengdu Hunters, Hangzhou Spark, Washington Justice, and an unnamed Vancouver team. We’ll have to see how it plays out, but this is the second reveal after the leak’s release (the other being the Paris Eternal) showing that the information appears to be accurate.
We’re sure to see whether or not the leak was 100% on the money in the coming weeks as the final four teams are revealed. The Overwatch League is set to return for its second season on February 14, 2018.
What do you think of the Guangzhou Charge? Do you think any of the four Chinese teams can avoid the lackluster record of the Shanghai Dragons in their first year? Let us know in the comments below!
Have a tip for us? Awesome! Shoot us an email at [email protected] and we’ll take a look!
Robert N. AdamsSenior Writer
I’ve had a controller in my hand since I was 4 and I haven’t stopped gaming since. CCGs, Tabletop Games, Pen & Paper RPGs – I’ve tried a whole bunch of stuff over the years and I’m always looking to try more!
report this ad
- Champions League Team of the Week: Gnabry, Suarez and Salah make XI – No Messi or Ronaldo
- Blizzard’s Overwatch League will have its first home games in Atlanta, Dallas, and LA next year
- US charges two Chinese nationals for hacking cloud providers, NASA, the US Navy
- People can decide if they want to watch second straight NFL playoff team take a knee
- Minor-League Team Wins Championship On Walk-Off Balk, Goes Freaking Crazy
- Staten Island Little League team ends perfect season with loss, now tied 1-1 in World Series
- AZ Alkmaar vs Man Utd LIVE: Line ups confirmed, Europa League team news and fixtures
- Rays minor-league team promotes then cancels ‘A-Rod Juice Box Night’
- US charges two Chinese intelligence officers 'and their team of hackers'
- Queens to get United Soccer League team, F.C. New York