Aria Bendix, provided by
Published 10:17 am PST, Saturday, November 24, 2018
After nine years of construction and controversy, China officially unveiled the world’s longest sea bridge at an October ceremony in Hong Kong.
At more than 34 miles long, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge is part of a master plan to create a global science and technology hub by connecting two Chinese territories, Hong Kong and Macau (the world’s largest gambling center), to nine nearby cities.
With an economic output of $1.5 trillion, the new mega-region — known as the Greater Bay Area — is positioned to rival Silicon Valley. The plan also includes the construction of an $11 billion bullet train, which opened in September.
The bridge is not open to public transit, so only certain vehicles — shuttles, freight cars, and private cars with permits — are allowed to cross. Pedestrians and bicyclists are prohibited.
Take a look at its remarkable design below.
The $20 billion structure is 20 times as long as the Golden Gate Bridge.
The title of world’s largest sea bridge previously belonged to the Jiaozhou Bay Bridge, which stretches 26.3 miles.
The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge is designed to last for more than a century, with the capacity to withstand major storms and earthquakes.
The structure should hold up in the face of 211 mph winds. That claim was put to the test in September, when Typhoon Mangkhut swept through Hong Kong, destroying roofs, shattering windows, and toppling trees.
- A world-famous architect just opened a $300 million suburban mall in the middle of a retail apocalypse
- These 7 states have the worst homelessness crises in the US. They also have some of the most expensive housing.
- Saudi Arabia’s $500 billion megacity is in jeopardy after a Saudi journalist’s death. Here’s the status of the kingdom’s other multi-billion-dollar infrastructure projects.
- Ships in the night: Sea Of Thieves beta impressions
- World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth release date, beta, Allied Races, raids, zones, class changes
- Sea of Thieves, Destiny 2, and the problem with games that always need 'more content'
- God of War Light Elf Outpost guide – How to open the chest and get the Pristine Scales of the Realm, Dust of Realms
- Subnautica is the open world all open worlds should learn from
- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Updated Impressions - PvP Details, Raid Details, and High-Level Zones
- Just Cause 4 review – frame rate dips and a maddening camera fight against creative carnage and thrilling mobility
- Skyships and Community Created Islands: Bossa Studios Talks Their Grand Designs For Worlds Adrift
- World of Warcraft Preview
- Divided Europe seeks a long-term answer to a refugee crisis that needs a solution now
- Q&A: World in Conflict's Nicklas Cederstrom
- Monster Hunter: World PC is a demanding port, but it’s loaded with graphics options
- Animal Crossing: Wild World Walkthrough
- The 500 best games of all time: 400-301
- Secret World Legends Impressions – free and easy
- Censorship, Steam, and the explosive rise of PC gaming in China
- The 500 best games of all time: 300-201
- PUBG creator on the rise of China and the future of Battlegrounds
- China Focus: Revisiting moon no longer a lunatic idea for Chinese
- Premature Evaluation: My Time at Portia
China just opened the world's longest sea bridge. It cost $20 billion and is 20 times as long as the Golden Gate Bridge. have 554 words, post on www.sfgate.com at November 24, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.