PUBLISHED: 10:18 22 November 2018 | UPDATED: 10:19 22 November 2018
From left to right new owners Chris and Fiona Gerard of Innventure and Old Cannon managers Julie and Craig Nichols. Picture: Judith Shallow
This week, the keys were handed over for micro brewery in Bury St Edmunds with a 20-year history in the town.
The Old Cannon Brewery has a new operator, Innventure Ltd, a family company owned and run by Chris and Fiona Gerard from Cambridge.
Bury’s original micro brewery has long had a reputation for its beer, which is uniquely brewed in the bar of the pub. Their Best Bitter, Gunner’s Daughter and Blonde Bombshell real ales along with other seasonal and special brews have won awards and accolades since the Old Cannon was established in the former St Edmund’s Head pub in 1999.
The brewery’s freeholders Michael Shallow, whose former job was as finance director of Greene King, and Judith Shallow say they are “delighted” that their brewing, bar and bedroom business now joins an independent family of award-winning bars, hotels and country restaurants including the Cross Keys in Saffron Walden and dArry’s in Cambridge.
Innventure also owns The Wellington in Welwyn and The Rusty Gun at St Ippolyts both in Hertfordshire.
The Old Cannon has been brewing a bespoke ale for the Rusty Gun for the past nine years and with the new owners, Old Cannon beers will be found across the six-strong collection of pubs and restaurants.
Mr and Mrs Gerard are keen to reassure regular customers that there will be no interruption to ‘business as usual’, but reveal that changes will also be afoot.
“The business is busy with lots of Christmas party bookings in December and the team are fully focused on making these amazing – so no time for lots of change,” says Mr Gerard.
“The seven bedrooms will be our first priority to refresh and ensure that our customers have a fabulous overnight stay, followed by a delicious breakfast. We shall quickly be introducing some incredible new wines from wine maker friends d’Arenberg from Mclaren Vale in South East Australia and freshly made coffees and teas to provide contrast to the already brilliant beers.”
- Pink, 41, beams next to her daughter Willow Sage, nine, during the music video for their new duet Cover Me In Sunshine
- Gigi Hadid generously gives away daughter Khai's used gifts to mums in need
- ‘I’d rather have a man with a brain than a six-pack’, says Georgia Toffolo as she discusses her steamy new book
- Wayne Lineker's daughter Tia showcases her stunning figure in a tiny black bralet and shorts as she poses up a storm in a home photoshoot
- The star of TV's Liar and a very toxic marriage drama: Claims of 'gaslighting' and 'mental torture', a Twitter bombshell, and a family blown apart. As Ioan Gruffudd's wife Alice Evans says he's left her after 13 years, ALISON BOSHOFF examines their tale
- FMIA: New Insight On NFL’s 17-Game Schedule. Plus The Story Of One QB’s Quick (Door) Dash To Top 5 Prospect
- Heidi Klum marks her mother Erna's birthday as she and daughter Leni share sweet family throwback snaps
- Harry Styles' new love Olivia Wilde goes for a jog as she marks 37th birthday
- Changing the face of the wet market to appeal to new customers
- Where are all The Apprentice winners now?
- EXCLUSIVE: Sofia Richie plants a kiss on billionaire shipping heir Gil Ofer as she parades her sensational figure in a tiny bikini on the beach
- Kimberly Hart-Simpson rocked a £6 dress and £4 boots in the Celebs Go Dating mansion & they’re them from a charity shop
- Tucson food trucks overcome challenges during the pandemic
- Veteran Wellington publican and founder of the Backbencher calls time on his career
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Family fun run! Ivanka works up a sweat while jogging in the Miami sun - accompanied by her three kids on bikes, family dog Winter, and two burly Secret Service agents
- The 55 best movies on Hulu right now
- Bill Morneau opens up about his path to the political hot seat
- Which Love Island series two couples are still together and where are they now? From Nathan and Cara to Alex and Olivia
- Inspiration4: Bone cancer survivor Hayley Arceneaux to join billionaire on SpaceX flight
- LA County Likely To Moving Into Red Tier Monday: Indoor Dining To Return, Movie Theaters To Reopen
B&B and brewery behind ‘Gunner’s Daughter’ and ‘Blonde Bombshell’ gets new owners have 726 words, post on www.eadt.co.uk at November 22, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.