The Union County Happy Feet Committee hosted a luncheon on October 18 for community donors, community leaders, UCPS, and contact chairs from Livingston, Webster, and Muhlenberg County Happy Feet committees.
Happy Feet began in 2009 in Union County by Jerry Baird, a retired Peabody Coal miner. The following year Henderson and Webster started their Happy Feet programs. In 2012, Happy Feet Equals Learning Feet became a corporation and a 501C3 non-profit. Jerry Baird remains the Corporation President.
Other Executive Board members are Vice-President Dwight Jackson, Treasurer Shirley Hendrix (Webster County), Janet Gill Secretary, and Attorney Chris Hopgood (Henderson). The Board of Directors of the Corporation is made up of the county chairs and the members of the Executive Board. Both groups have quarterly meetings.
Union County Happy Feet has provided 4,277 pairs of shoes to students selected on the basis of need by the FRYSC Director in each of the UCPS. Head Start students are selected by the family advocates. All funds donated or raised by the Union County Committee stay in UC and purchase shoes for only UC students.
DBM, Incorporated and Grace Fellowship Church were recognized as 10 Year financial donors. Bill and Marsha Beaven accepted for DBM and Rev. Dwight Jackson accepted for Grace Fellowship. Shoe Carnival’s Erica Robb, Store Operations, accepted a 10 Year Business Partner Award. Mrs. Patricia Sheffer and the FRYSC Directors accepted a 10 Year Collaboration Award.
Prior to the luncheon, Ben Wedding, a student at John Paull II School, presented a donation to Union County Happy Feet. Ben hosted a party for his friends and asked each to bring a donation to Happy Feet.
Mrs. Donna Clements was the first Union County Happy Feet Committee Chair and Janet Gill is the current Chair.
Mrs. Dianne Arnett who was the first FRYSC Director was the main speaker.
“If you put a new pair of shoes on a kid, their face totally changes,” said Arnett. ”You have to be there to experience that. It makes all the difference. It’s a visible change – they smile, they walk with their head higher and it’s real. That entire process: measuring day and the money that’s raised, it’s a reminder of how blessed we are. I am so proud of everyone in this room that does that.”
Mrs. Patricia Sheffer, UCPS Superintendent, President Jerry Baird and Judge Executive Adam O’Nan were the other speakers.
Arnett also shared a quote from a UC FRYSC employee, Jennifer Pinkston, “The Happy Feet Program is a wonderful partnership between FRYSC, UCPS, and our students in need. With the funding from Shoe Carnival and Happy Feet, we are able to put smiles on the faces of our students and give them quality, athletic brand shoes for hundreds of students each year. We are blessed to have this partnership, and the students appreciate all that they do.”
The organization donated over 24,000 pairs of shoes since starting in 2009. The board is constantly trying to start new locations to spread the shoe donations or boost the locations that are already in place.
“The only way I can do this is through all the great volunteers,” said President Jerry Baird.
When asked why Happy Feet Equals Learning Feet does what they do, Baird replied, “We want to help your kids too. We want to help everybody’s kids.”
- Robbie Williams and Ayda Field celebrate 10 year relationship - that almost didn't happen
- NPR’s ‘Alt.Latino’ Celebrates 10 Years: 'There’s a Societal Shift & We're a Part of That'
- Celebrating 10 Years of
- Pregnant Ashlee Simpson cradles her bump on day out after celebrating six years of marriage with Evan Ross in wedding anniversary post
- Davinia Taylor showcases her radiant complexion in makeup-free snap as she celebrates 11 years of sobriety
- A 10-year-old Ohio boy has raised over $315,000 to provide bulletproof vests for police dogs
- Towie cast then and now - how reality stars have changed over 10 years of fame
- These 10 cushioned running shoes are like pillows for your feet
- Little Mix celebrate nine years after Jesy Nelson almost walked away from fame
- Onam 2020: Top 5 Must Listen Songs If You Are Badly Missing The Grand Celebrations This Year!
- 'My real life fairy tale': Natalie Roser shares a tribute to ex-Neighbours star boyfriend Harley Bonner to celebrate three years together
- Celebrating 5 Years Of Dil Dhadakne Do, Ritesh Sidhwani Reminisces Memories From The Sets
- Joe Swash says he is a 'proud dad' as he shares snap comparing newborn son Rex's feet with 11-year-old son Harry's
- Gran, 71, in tears as mystery illness which left her ‘skin & bones’ & made her vomit daily for 10 YEARS is diagnosed
- Happy Birthday Ram Charan: 10 films, 10 years and we have a star
- Network Tasman reports $11m operating surplus, plans to spend $127m over 10 years
- Bobby Moore's first wife Tina's 10 years of heartbreak after their devastating split
- UPDATE 2-German 10-year yields rise to highest since July after Powell speech
- Here Are 10-Year-Old Rock Prodigy Nandi Bushell's 5 Best Drum Covers
- The Only Way is Essex confirms 26th series start date for 10-year anniversary
Happy Feet celebrates 10 years of supplying shoes have 812 words, post on www.thegleaner.com at October 22, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.