The Premier League transfer window is galloping towards the August 9 deadline and a number of clubs could look very different in a week’s time.
Here, Newsweek guides you through the latest rumors and gossip swirling around the league.
Let’s begin with Chelsea, who might not lose Thibaut Courtois after all. The Belgian goalkeeper has been linked with a move to Real Madrid throughout the summer, but the Daily Star now claims Chelsea will tell him he will not be sold.
Thibaut Courtois celebrates Belgium’s second goal during the World Cup Russia 3rd Place Playoff match against England at Saint Petersburg Stadium on July 14 in Saint Petersburg. The Belgian has been linked with a move away from Chelsea throughout the summer. Catherine Ivill/Getty Images
The Blues are reportedly happy to run the risk of losing Courtois for free next season rather than let him go this summer, given they’ve not been able to find a replacement. The Belgian could be joined at Stamford Bridge by Wilfried Zaha, who has emerged as a surprise target for Maurizio Sarri. According to the Daily Mirror, Zaha wants to leave Crystal Palace to move to a bigger club. However he would prefer to remain in London instead of moving up north again, after enduring a difficult spell with Manchester United four years ago.
Palace are obviously reluctant to lose their star player, who might have to submit a formal transfer request if he is to force his way out of the club before Thursday’s deadline. Tottenham Hotspur were also linked with Zaha but have since turned their attention towards Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish instead, which should leave Chelsea with a relatively free run at Zaha.
The Daily Express, however, believes last season’s FA Cup winners are also targeting Grealish and could table a bid of around $26 million in the coming days.
Spurs are playing the long game over Grealish and Manchester United could use the same strategy when it comes to Toby Alderweireld. Jose Mourinho is desperate to add the Belgian to his squad, but United have repeatedly refused to meet Spurs’ $97 million demand for a player who is already 29.
However, the Daily Mirror claims United could sign Alderweireld for a lot less if they simply bide their time. The Belgian’s contract runs out in 2019, and while Spurs retain an option to extend the deal by a further 12 months, doing so would trigger a clause that would make the defender available for $32.5 million for a two-week period at the end of next summer’s transfer window.
Whether United will be happy to wait another year remains to be seen but Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo suggests they might to do so, particularly as they could bring in Barcelona defender Yerry Mina this summer.
According to the report, the Colombia international has already agreed terms with United and is now waiting for the club to agree a fee with Barcelona.
Meanwhile, one of Mina’s international teammates is unlikely to move to the Premier League, as The Sun reports that Bournemouth have had a club-record $35 million bid for Jefferson Lema rejected by Levante.
The Spanish side reportedly want $39 million for the Colombian, who has shone during his spell in La Liga.
Elsewhere, The Sun claims Everton are considering a $39 million bid for Newcastle United captain Jamal Lascelles, as they look to bolster their defensive options.
- Tammy Abraham’s stance on Arsenal transfer as Chelsea set £40m asking price
- Arsenal transfer news: Edu set for talks over Hector Bellerin amid Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid negotiations
- Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd's Kane swap plan, Salah to Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal updates
- Kounde to Chelsea, Ramsey to Tottenham - Latest transfer news
- Inter Milan make decision on Romelu Lukaku transfer after Chelsea prepare £110m bid
- Chelsea ‘AGREE Kounde deal’, Lukaku not for sale, Messi new contract, Ronaldo to stay at Juventus – latest transfer news
- Transfer news LIVE: Chelsea's Kounde agreement, Arsenal make Martinez move, Man Utd Varane
- Chelsea 'prepare' fresh Lukaku bid, Giroud wants Blues star at AC Milan, Kounde message
- Chelsea set for fresh transfer windfall as Marina Granovskaia plots Erling Haaland bid
- Transfer news LIVE: Jack Grealish sacrifice, Harry Kane to Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal
- Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd Haaland swap deal, Lukaku to Chelsea EXCLUSIVE, Arsenal twist
- Transfer news: Sancho 'confirms' Varane to Man Utd, Tottenham plan, Saul Niguez move
- West Ham ‘in pole position’ to complete Tammy Abraham transfer from Chelsea with Blues wanting £40m
- Chelsea set to lose third star to AC Milan with club ‘pushing hard’ for loan deal
- Kai Havertz transfer to Chelsea is 'all but done' after talks over personal terms
- Chelsea open talks with Sevilla over Jules Kounde transfer after defender indicates willingness to join Blues
- Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd receive Varane blow, Arsenal plotting two big moves
- Crystal Palace confirm transfer of Chelsea ace Marc Guehi on five-year deal following 18-month loan deal at Swansea
- Chelsea set to complete first summer signing in Marcus Bettinelli within 48 hours
- Liverpool and Chelsea 'set deadline' to beat Leicester to Domenico Berardi transfer
Transfer News: Chelsea Set to Keep Courtois while Zaha Wants Blues Move have 872 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 3, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.