Even Michael Buffer, the legendary ring announcer for dozens of historic fights, was left baffled. The size and scale of YouTube, and its immense power over the media world as more than 1.5 million people tuned in — not all of them legally — to watch UK YouTuber KSI and American controversialist Logan Paul duke it out in the platform’s second boxing match, was obvious. Every viewer, around half of whom paid $10 to watch the fight through YouTube’s official stream, and the thousands of people who made the trek to Manchester, England last night to watch two of YouTube’s biggest names battle it out to a hotly contested draw were individual representations of just how big the platform has become. As Polygon reported in February when the bout was signed, YouTube has well and truly gone international. “We’re selling tickets to the US, Dubai and Europe,” Stuart Jones, head of Upload Events, promoter of the boxing match, told Polygon before the bout. “Pretty much anywhere and everywhere.” Interviews with a small sample of attendees seemed to confirm Jones’ estimate, based on previous events featuring YouTubers he’s run. This includes a soccer match that brought 26,000 fans out to an… Read full this story
- Opposition party pledges to fight nuclear power extension
- How old is Jake Paul, what is the Everyday Bro video and why did the YouTuber leave the Disney channel?
- Video unearthed of Paul Manafort on '90s Nickelodeon game show
- Cult sci-fi comic 'Eternaut' still gives lessons in political resistance
- Portland community mourns death of PSU student Logan Nettleton
- US 'training forces' to fight Boko Haram
- Google fined $170M for YouTube’s violation of child privacy laws
- Children get take-home conservation lessons
- Vermont Preservationist Paul Bruhn Dies
- St. Paul schools flip start times so teens can sleep in
KSI and Logan Paul’s fight was a lesson in the power of YouTube tribalism have 305 words, post on www.polygon.com at August 26, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.