Earlier today, the Giants placed starter Johnny Cueto back on the 10-day disabled list with more elbow issues. Cueto missed over two months earlier this season, between late April and early July, with a sprained right elbow. Per Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area, manager Bruce Bochy said there is a “strong possibility” Cueto will need to undergo Tommy John surgery.
Surgery would end Cueto’s 2018 season, of course, and would almost certainly keep him out for all of 2019 as well. Cueto is under contract through at least 2021, earning $21 million annually. The Giants have a $22 million club option for 2022 with a $5 million buyout.
Cueto, 32, posted a 3.23 ERA with a 38/13 K/BB ratio in 53 innings across nine starts this season.
Cueto’s injury could prompt the 53-54 Giants to commit to selling ahead of tomorrow’s 4 PM ET non-waiver trade deadline. The Yankees, Phillies, and Indians have expressed interest in outfielder Andrew McCutchen, Jon Morosi reports. McCutchen, Hunter Pence, Nick Hundley, Derek Holland, and Will Smith are among the players who could be moved.
- Stephen Strasburg Of Washington Nationals Sidelined By Surgery Again
- Max Scherzer trade destinations: Dodgers, Padres, Giants all eye Nationals ace, but who needs him the most?
- Yankees trade deadline preview: Biggest needs, possible fits, top trade chips leading into July 30
- Yankees center fielder Aaron Hicks opts for wrist surgery, could miss rest of 2021 season
- The recommended wait for Craig's surgery is 90 days, but he's been waiting four years
- These women hoped surgery would heal them. Instead, their treatment became a nightmare
- Tasmania's elective surgery waiting lists up by almost half on last year
- Kelly Slater Misses Olympic Surfing Berth as John John Florence Qualifies
- At Calum's heaviest he was 210kg. Lap-band surgery has turned his life around
- Questions remain over whether COVID-19 recovery will guarantee immunity: Is reinfection still possible?
- As John Kerry arrives, India extends compliance date for coal plants
- Speaker Hortman Says She’ll Send Any Complaints Against Rep. John Thompson To Ethics Committee
- Boris is guilty! John Humphrys issues staggering attack on PM: 'He’s playing us for fools'
- How heart transplant surgery changed 10-year-old Hannah's life
- Preemie Baby with Rare Heart Defect Has Life Saved by Surgery That Pushed 'the Limits of What's Possible'
- NBA Draft 2021: Biggest needs, potential prospect fits for all 30 teams entering the offseason
- January transfer window 2021: Premier League clubs assessed - who needs what?
- Our eight-point plan to ensure the NHS gets the funding it so desperately needs
- Is ‘Dune’ The Next ‘Avatar’ Or The Next ‘John Carter’?
- Milley apologizes for taking part in Trump church walk: 'I should not have been there'
There’s a “strong possibility” Johnny Cueto needs Tommy John surgery have 424 words, post on mlb.nbcsports.com at July 30, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.