The life cycle of a game isn’t easy to predict. Some start strong and burn out quickly, others endure for years before slowly fading away. Some crash and burn on day one while others are kept alive by players, modders, and community creators long after they might have otherwise slipped away.A few games, however, have lived on for decades, kept alive not just by passionate fans but by developers who have never thrown in the towel or dusted off their hands and said “done.” These games have, against all odds, managed to withstand the test of time. They’re still being worked on after 20 and even 30 years, and all of them have had updates in 2018. We’ve focused on games from the 80s and 90s with interesting histories, but this is hardly a complete list (shout out to Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, and plenty of other games from 1999-2001 that are still running).Here are the oldest PC games that are still being maintained today.NetHackReleased: July 1987 | Latest update: April 27, 2018Trace NetHack allll the way back, and it’s actually an evolution of Hack, circa 1984, itself a derivation of 1980’s Rogue. In 1987, a developer named Mike… Read full this story
- GeForce NOW Brings PC Gaming to Every Device, Everywhere
- Rockstar joins the PC gaming platform wars with the 'Rockstar Games Launcher'
- The best power supply unit for PC gaming
- Red Dead Redemption 2: Rockstar explains why PC game had so many issues
- World of Warcraft Classic winds back the clock to win the PC Game of the Year Golden Joystick 2019
- The best controller for PC gaming in 2019
- Acer announces the Predator Thronos Air, a $14,000 PC gaming throne
- How will Black Friday in 2019 compare to 2018 for PC gaming and components?
- Popular PC Game Rust Is Coming to PS4 and Xbox One
- Great moments in PC gaming: "Don't startle the witch"
The 80s and 90s PC games still unbelievably being updated today have 317 words, post on www.pcgamer.com at July 9, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.