Artist Jonas Never is done promoting the King.
The Los Angeles-based artist debuted his mural of LeBron James on July 6 following his signing with the Lakers, but has been met with criticism and even vandalism since its unveiling.
“I thought I had learned a long time ago to never touch religion or politics,” Never said, via ESPN. “I guess it is never touch religion, politics or anyone against Kobe.”
The mural, which required over 75 spray cans and 12 hours to complete, was finished last Friday with the help of graffiti specialist Fernando Valdez but was vandalized twice in four days.
The first time, the vandal displayed James’ 3-6 record in the NBA Finals and the words “we don’t want you” below where James’ face was painted.
— LWOS LA Lakers (@LWOSLALakers) July 8, 2018
A video of the mural being vandalized the second time was released early Thursday morning, showing the vandal throwing paint where James’ face was painted.
— Robert Kovacik (@RobertNBCLA) July 12, 2018
Never, who also designed murals of the late Anthony Bourdain and Stuart Scott among others, opted to cover the mural with white paint on Wednesday in attempt to put an end to the hate.
Update on the Lebron Mural in LA..pic.twitter.com/Wivcc14zAl
— GodZo🐐 (@GodzoBall) July 11, 2018
— GodZo🐐 (@GodzoBall) July 11, 2018
“I got a ton of support,” Never said. “At first when we had the original piece, there was a ton of positivity, but also a ton of like pro-Kobe, anti-LeBron sentiment. [Some] people didn’t like it in general, not necessarily the work, but the sentiment that went with it. People had a big problem with the word ‘of.’ I get where they are coming from.
“This was just for my own fun just being happy that the Lakers were actually going to be talked about again. And I didn’t realize that a mural would be [almost] as talked about as much as the Lakers would be.”
James signed a four-year deal worth $154 million with Los Angeles at the start of free agency, a move that has been met with mixed reviews and followed by another mega-signing courtesy of the Warriors as Golden State added DeMarcus Cousins to its roster.
- LeBron James’ trading card from 2003-04 sold for Rs 13.8 crore
- Catholics Decry ‘Week of Vandalism and Arson’ Against Churches Across U.S.
- Rare LeBron trading card brings $1.84 million at auction
- Court hears shocking audio of 'Johnny Depp HOWLING like an animal' on flight 'when he attacked Amber Heard and accused her of having sex with "rapist" James Franco' after 'cocaine, whisky, pills and champagne binge'
- Catholic churches burned, vandalized over weekend as police investigate: 'Where's the outrage?'
- Late Director James Sheldon on James Dean and Affairs With Men
- Governments around world eye tougher steps to fight virus
- Music World in Shock as Rapper Nipsey Hussle Murdered Day Before Anti-Gang Meeting
- Lakers' Rondo out for up to eight weeks with thumb fracture
- NBA's greatest players of all-time: Who are the top 23?
- 'Elon Musk visited Amber Heard a few times a WEEK when Johnny Depp was away': Concierge tells libel trial actress gave billionaire his own FOB to their LA penthouse - and 'never noticed injuries to her face'
- Virgil: Welcome to Year One—All Prior History Is Cancelled
- Black women are often overlooked by social justice movements, a new study finds
- NBA plays preseason game in China without typical media availability, reportedly at behest of Chinese government
- CCTV shows Johnny Depp in 'extremely agitated' state in lift after he was 'ushered out of couple's LA penthouse following blazing row with Amber Heard
- Wrecked, blood-spattered kitchen where Johnny Depp's severed finger was found by assistant is revealed by aide - who says Amber Heard started most of their arguments and tells how they 'argued like schoolchildren'
- Sharon Stone predicted the pandemic and was taking guests' temperatures before letting them into her birthday party in March - and admits she's coped with the strain of lockdown by 'screaming on her balcony'
- A pint of whisky and four lines of cocaine for lunch: Johnny Depp's libel trial is shown a picture taken by Amber Heard of his skull and crossbones 'pill box' and mountain of drugs and alcohol
- How I became a Hollywood hell raiser: Depp tells court he'd tried 'every kind of drug known to man' by age 14', describes trashing hotel rooms in front of Kate Moss, doing drugs with Marilyn Manson... and the night River Phoenix died
- Amber Heard 'stole' my rape survival story and 'twisted it into her own story to benefit herself', says her fired personal assistant who says she was raped at knife point
Artist paints over twice-vandalized LeBron James mural in Los Angeles have 857 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at July 12, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.