Former Secretary of State John Kerry is attempting to save his signature Iran Nuclear Deal as yet another deadline looms for the Trump administration on whether the U.S. will pull out of the agreement.
According to a new report from The Boston Globe, Kerry has met with several foreign diplomats over the past several weeks in months in order to maintain support over the nuclear deal among allies.
Two weeks ago, Kerry met with Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif at the United Nations in New York City about preserving the international pact. According to a source, this is the second time Kerry has met with Zarif in the past two months.
Last month, Kerry met with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and has spoken with top European Union official Federica Mogherini. The source also says Kerry had met with French President Emmanuel Macron in New York and Paris to discuss the deal. Macron made clear during his recent visit to the United States that he hopes President Trump will not pull out.
“It is unusual for a former secretary of state to engage in foreign policy like this, as an actual diplomat and quasi-negotiator,” said foreign policy expert Michael O’Hanlon of the Brookings Institution. “Of course, former secretaries of state often remain quite engaged with foreign leaders, as they should, but it’s rarely so issue-specific, especially when they have just left office.”
Kerry declined to comment on the report.
President Trump knocked Kerry during a speech at the NRA Convention today over the Iran Nuclear Deal as well as his bicycle accident he had while negotiating the 2015 deal. Ahead of the May 12 deadline, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presented “conclusive proof” that Iran lied going into the deal in an attempt to sway Trump’s decision in pulling out of the agreement.
[photo via Getty Images]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- US And Europe Face An ‘Increasingly Loveless Marriage’ After Trump’s Iran Deal Withdrawal
- Who loses if Trump kills the Iran deal?
- John Kerry dismisses Trump’s warning to stay away from Iran talks
- JOHN KERRY: Trump 'really just doesn't know what he's talking about. He makes things up.'
- Trump blasts John Kerry's efforts to save the Iran deal, hours before he announces its fate
- Trump to reveal Iran deal's fate amid low hopes for survival
- US allies lament Trump's decision to pull out of Iran deal
- Iran gives E.U. deadline to salvage nuclear deal
- President Obama Seals Iran Deal with Maryland Senator’s Vote
- Leaving Iran deal a basis for them to wreak ‘havoc’ in the region: Ex-Shell Oil president
- Here's how world leaders are reacting to the historic Trump-Kim summit
- Trump aides reportedly hired an Israeli intelligence agency to dig up dirt on Obama's Iran deal team
- Trump accuses China of attempting to meddle in the 2018 US midterms, tells world leaders 'they do not want me or us to win'
- 'The president is creating a new nuclear crisis': Lawmakers are concerned about Trump's withdrawal from Iran deal
- Merkel defends Iran deal, multilateralism but Pence resists
- John Kelly: Trump is 'embarrassed' in meetings with world leaders about Russian investigation
- Mike Pence tried to 'bring greetings' from Trump to an audience of world leaders. The silence was deafening.
- Two Princes: How a secret meeting signaled the UAE’s pull in Trump’s D.C.
- As U.S. sanctions near, Europe fails to protect Iran deal
- Reports: Intel Firm Was Hired To Discredit Former Obama Iran Deal Negotiators
John Kerry Is Reportedly Trying To Salvage the Iran Deal By Secretly Meeting With World Leaders have 570 words, post on www.mediaite.com at May 4, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.