ACTOR Bill Cosby is on trial accused of drugging and molesting a female friend at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004.
Here’s all you need to know about Camille Cosby, his wife of 50 years, who has defended the American entertainer against the allegations.
Who is Camille Crosby and what has she said about the accusations against her husband?
Camille Cosby married US actor Bill Crosby in 1964, has five children with him and acted as his manager during his career.
She has defended her husband against the allegations that he sexually assaulted numerous women over his career.
In 2014, Cosby released a statement saying that her husband had been the victim of accusations.
She said: “The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work.
He is a kind man and a wonderful husband, father and friend.”
In the 2016 deposition, Cosby declined to answer questions, invoking spousal privilege, when asked whether Bill had been faithful to her.
Who is Bill Cosby? What’s his background?
The American entertainer was born William Henry Cosby Junior in Philadelphia in 1937. The 79-year-old became a national treasure during his career, which saw him produce and star in the TV sitcom The Cosby Show airing from 1984 to 1992.
It was rated as the number one show in America for five years.
But allegations of sex assaults by almost 60 women since 2000 have led to Cosby facing trial this month after accusations of aggravated indecent assault.
The comedian has been released on $1million bail as the jury currently deliberate over his guilt.
What is Bill Cosby accused of?
Ms Constand has accused Cosby of incapacitating her with pills before molesting her while she drifted in and out of consciousness.
The comedian claims the encounter was consensual and has always denied any wrongdoing.
In May 2016, District Judge Elizabeth McHugh ruled there was sufficient evidence to bring Cosby to trial after dozens of women raised similar claims and, in a deposition, Cosby admitted to giving Ms Constand pills.
The first trial began on June 5, 2017, but it ended less than two weeks later with the jury “hopelessly deadlocked”.
When is the retrial what has been said?
The retrial began this week with a bombshell allegation that Cosby had paid Ms Constand £2.4million in a 2006 civil settlement.
“The question that I’m sure we’re going to hear a lot about is, why would an innocent man pay £2.4million for something he didn’t do?” said Dennis McAndrews
But, as the Chicago Sun Times reports, Cosby’s lawyers plan to argue that Ms Constand falsely accused him to land a big payoff.
MOST READ IN NEWS
SICK SHRINE DESTROYED
Angry locals tear down vile ‘tributes’ to burglar killed by hero OAP
Drug dealer’s Lidl worker moll snared by posting ‘Kim Kardashian’ pics
Woman, 27, dies in agony after being ’embalmed alive’ in horror medical blunder
‘CAN I HAVE MY TOOTH BACK?’
Suspected paedo arrested for ‘BITING vigilante’s finger’
Millionaire leaves partner of 42 years NOTHING in will but judge overturns wishes
‘NO FOOTPRINT TOO SMALL’
Double family tragedy as boy, 6, chokes to death after sister dies
The trial, expected to last a month, got underway this week and defence lawyers will deliver their opening statement on Tuesday.
The actor was free before the mistrial announcement on a $1million bail after pleading not guilty.
The move amounts to a victory of sorts for the 79-year-old actor, who had faced spending a maximum of 15 to 30 years in prison if he had been found guilty on all three counts together with a fine of up to $25,000.
- Police take fresh look at Harvey Weinstein sex assault claims
- Harvey Weinstein's sex assault trial is set to begin today, more than two years after allegations against him broke open the #MeToo movement
- Bill Cosby's wife hits out at 'mob justice' after 'relentless demonisation' of TV star
- B&B worker, 35, who launched sex attacks on two female guests - including one while she slept beside her HUSBAND - is jailed for three years
- Trump challenges professor over Brett Kavanaugh sex assault claim
- Director Dieter Wedel faces new sexual assault allegations
- Wife of man who admitted killing Brazilian footballer and severing his genitals says she woke to find the player rubbing his penis against her before husband stabbed him
- Sir Philip Green sex assault charges are 'dismissed' - Arcadia
- Beastie Boys' Ad-Rock Condemns Dad Over Sexual Assault Allegations
- UFC 246: Conor McGregor plays it cool as reporter heckled over sex assault question
- Weinstein: Sex assault charges have made me ‘forgotten man’
- Malaysia drops sex assault probe of PM-in-waiting Anwar
- Film Blogger Devin Faraci Resigns Amid Sexual Assault Allegations
- Antonio Brown apologizes to Patriots owner Robert Kraft 'for the bad media and the drama' after New England cut him amid sexual assault allegations
- Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner Apologize for Defending
- Explosive new Epstein allegations: ‘Step-by-step’ sex tutorials, claims
- Lena Dunham Defends
- Bill Cosby sex assault verdict upheld; spokesman lashes out
- Harvey Weinstein Trial: Jury Hears Opening Statements More Than 2 Years After Scandal Sparked #MeToo Movement
- Exclusive: Evelyn Yang reveals she was sexually assaulted by her OB-GYN while pregnant
Who is Camille Cosby? Bill Cosby’s wife of 54 years who’s defended him against sex assault allegations have 848 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 10, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.