MARVELLOUS: Avengers Infinity War is set to be a blockbuster
Avengers: Infinity War arrives in cinemas tomorrow, bringing together all Marvel’s stars.
Early verdicts from those lucky few who attended premieres around the world of the £215million film are in and, without revealing any spoilers, there are plenty of shocks to come.
Co-writer Christopher Markus says: “This is a movie made up of people who are the number-one stars in their own movies.”
So Robert Downey Jr’s Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk team up with Benedict Cumberbatch’s Dr Strange and his sidekick Wong.
A bearded Captain America (Chris Evans), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) fight alongside the forces of Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman).
And the Guardians Of The Galaxy headed by Chris Pratt, make their first Avengers appearance coming to the aid of Chris Hemsworth’s one- eyed Thor.
Add to that Tom Holland’s Spider- Man, Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch, Leititia Wright’s Shuri and Tom Hiddleston’s Loki and this seems an epic impossible to rival.
They are battling the big bad villain Thanos – teased since the end of the very first Avengers film. Here he is shown in all his gigantic purple glory.
But there’s also bad news for fans as it looks certain there will be some big characters killed off. Whether it will be on this film or next year’s Avengers 4 sequel – or both – remains to be seen.
Director Joe Russo says: “It’s called Infinity War and audiences should be prepared for a war. Without question, characters will die. Let’s frame it this way – if the last 10 years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a book, these would be the final chapters. We know who we’re allowed to kill.”
BIGGEST AND BADDEST: Thanos is the worst baddie the Marvel universe
“The contract is done. A few of us, we started at the same time and I think we all wrap it up through Avengers 4. By 2019 that’s it.”
And with the contracts of Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner up after the next film, the smart money is on at least one of those.
“The contract is done,” says Evans. “A few of us, we started at the same time and I think we all wrap it up through Avengers 4. By 2019 that’s it.”
The film-making team has also taken the unusual step of showing the film through the point of view of Thanos (Josh Brolin)
Russo adds: “He is the biggest and baddest villain we’ve ever had, and we’ll actually be able to see him journey through and understand what his goal is.
“He’s in turn sociopathic, other times empathetic, he’s violent, strong-willed, highly intelligent and he can be emotional.”
Thanos wants what Dr Strange has – an infinity stone
His aim is to steal the infinity stones which will allow the holder to control time and space.
One stone is embedded in the head of Brit actor Paul Bettany’s android Vision, while another belongs to Dr Strange – so expect epic fight scenes there.
“He wants me and specifically what I’ve got hanging around my neck,” says Cumberbatch.
“So a fight ensues and it gets really fun and really silly very quickly.
“The scale blows from real- world jeopardy into reality jeopardy and then unreality jeopardy. It’s very exciting.”
Eye eye: One eyed Thor makes a comeback, joining the Avengers again
With so many characters on screen, here’s a recap of where we left the most important players:
Tony Stark/Iron Man (last seen: Spider-Man: Homecoming, 2017)
Unsuccessfully tried to persuade Spider-Man/Peter Parker to join the Avengers. Argued with Captain America over whether the Avengers should be government regulated.
Steve Rogers/Captain America (last seen: Captain America: Civil War, 2016)
After fighting against regulation, he’s been on the run for two years.
With his beard, long hair and black suit, he is no longer the all-American hero.
United: Heroes from across the Marvel universe have come together to defeat Thanos
Thor (last seen: Thor: Ragnarok, 2017)
After his home world was destroyed, Thor and his people set out to find a new one.
But a ship stopped them in their tracks – could it be Thanos?
Bruce Banner/The Hulk (last seen: Thor: Ragnarok, 2017) Exiled himself to space to stop hurting anyone else.
But appears to crash down to Earth and meet Dr Strange.
Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow (last seen: Captain America: Civil War, 2016)
Betrayed Iron Man to help Captain America.
Now sporting a blonde dye job, she’s also been on the run.
T’Challa/Black Panther (last seen: Black Panther, 2018) Revealed the true Wakanda as a futuristic kingdom.
Much of Infinity War action takes place there.
Stephen Strange/Dr Strange (last seen: Thor: Ragnarok, 2017)
The former surgeon is guarding the world from transcendental foes.
Has one of the Infinity Stones Thanos is after.
Guardians Of The Galaxy (last seen: Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2, 2017)
They killed off Peter Quill’s evil dad at the end of the last film.
Gamora and sister Nebula are both the adopted and estranged children of Thanos, and Drax saw his family killed on orders from the villain. They are out for revenge!
- This Year’s Biggest Superhero Movies Are All About America’s Descent into Fascism
- The Best Superhero Movies of All Time | Digital Trends
- Captain America: Civil War is thrilling proof there's plenty of life left in superhero movies
- Black Panther Becomes Highest-Grossing Solo Superhero Movie of All-Time
- Guardians of the Galaxy Proves That Marvel Is the Pixar of Superhero Movies
- Steven Spielberg’s favourite superhero movie: ‘When I found out I cried’ says its director
- Marvel Developing Shang-Chi as Its First Asian Superhero Movie, Dave Callaham Set as Writer: Reports
- Glass Producer Confirms Split 2 Is a Superhero Movie
- Black Panther Is the First Superhero Movie Nominated for Best Picture and More 2019 Oscar Firsts
- The X-Men movies offer an alternative Marvel Cinematic Universe
- 25 Biggest summer movie blockbusters of all time
- The modern era of the superhero movie begins in earnest with X-Men
- Avengers 4 trailer is delayed again and Marvel fans are really, really mad
- After Avengers: Endgame, what comes next for the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
- South Park's 'The Fractured But Whole' review: An antidote for the endless wave of superhero movies
- 'Black Widow' Review: A Superhero Movie That's Grittier, More Layered With Feeling, Than You Expect
- Simon Kinberg says Dark Phoenix was never supposed to be "a classic superhero movie"
- Captain America: The First Avenger review | Digital Trends
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: The Screenwriters Answer Every Question You Might Have
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Has Taken Over the World. Let’s Talk About Fan Service and Marvel’s Legacy
The Ultimate Avengers: BIGGEST superhero movie of all time tipped to be £125m marvel have 1196 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at April 25, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.