NINTENDO has taken the wraps off its next mobile game, but it lacks the gaming giant’s iconic characters.
Dragalia Lost is a colourful, Japanese RPG that looks like a mix between the genre’s best known titles (think Final Fantasy 7 and Secret of Mana).
If that all sounds like gobbledegook, you’re probably not a JRPG fan.
And with no Mario or Pikachu in sight, the game may not fare as well on this side of the pond when it lands in Summer.
Then again, it’ll be free-to-play, so at least you can take it for a spin without forking out a penny.
And if you get into it, Dragalia will have plenty of characters and quests that can be unlocked using real money.
It all sounds a lot like Nintendo’s other mobile RPG Fire Emblem Heroes, which continues to pull in $1million per month from in-game purchases a year after its release.
Dragalia is a joint venture between Nintendo and Cygames, the latter best known for titles like Granblue Fantasy and digital card game Shadowverse.
As part of the deal, Nintendo will scoop a 5 per cent stake in the company, another indication that it’s serious about smartphone gaming.
Thus far, Nintendo’s mobile line-up has been a mixed bag, but it does have an ace or two up its sleeve.
Most read in tech
Man hit with £45,000 fine for sharing Sky Sports livestreams online
Amazon Prime 20% price increase ‘likely’ for Brits… but how much will it be?
MUSIC TO OUR EARS
Sky Q now offers Spotify so you can listen to music on your TV for free
ICE ON MARS
Mars probe sends back ‘simply fantastic’ first pictures of frosty crater
CORE OF THE PROBLEM?
Apple engineer says pressure to design iPhone is reason I’m divorced
PS5 and Xbox 2 launches leaked? Here’s when experts think the consoles will land
Its debut release Miitomo – a quirky Tamagotchi-style social game starring user-created avatars – flopped on arrival and has since been discontinued.
And on the horizon are Mario Kart Tour and an as-yet untitled Zelda game.
- How to Find Nintendo Wii Top Games at a Discount
- Nintendo DS Online Gaming
- Nintendo Wii - A Gaming Console With Varied Features
- Nintendo Wii - A New Game Plan
- NASA reveals new space suit that will stop astronauts 'bunny hopping' when they explore the moon surface in five years - and special flight suit for take-off and landing
- New Game Exceeds Casino Players' Expectations
- Nintendo Makes New Addition to Video Gaming
- Fit For Golf is the New Game in Town
- Writers, There's a New Game in Town!
- The Business of Writing on the Internet - It's a Whole New Game