PUBLISHED: 15:00 16 January 2018
The wassail drew a big crowd to the Millennium Green.
Congresbury residents took part in an ancient tradition this week, which involved blessing trees, with the hope of prompting a successful season for cider-making.
Villagers flocked to the Millennium Green to take part in the village’s annual wassail on Saturday.
The celebration, which originates from a Pagan ritual dating back centuries, drew a large crowd including many children who enjoyed making as much noise as possible with their pots, pans and wooden spoons.
Revellers hope the racket, followed by bizarre traditions, banished evil spirits from the green and woke the apple trees from their slumber.
Cider-soaked toast was adorned on the trees’ branches to encourage a fruitful crop of apples in 2018.
Villagers later took part in traditional cider-infused songs and children posed for pictures with the Green Man, Brian Kemplay, who led the proceedings with old rhymes.
- Wassails to begin next week
- Y/Project's Glenn Martens talks style, diversity and Chanel
- Anthony Martial has a dig at Jose Mourinho's management style as he praises Paul Pogba's return to form
- Three things you should watch on Netflix before the New Year begins
- Alan O'Neill: 'Practical ways to manage the seasonal peaks and troughs'
- Stoke fans: Promotion would be a step too far and a disaster for us this season
- What would represent success between now and the rest of the season?
- Fermanagh focused on results rather than style or plaudits
- Woodward begins three-pronged attack to lift United into modern age
- Everton's season is over and now the investigation into why begins
- Sheffield Wednesday: Steve Bruce’s style of play, recruitment and legacy according to fans of his former clubs
- Springing into style with Belfast Fashionweek
- Vardy gave 'right response' after comments on Puel's style
- Manchester United risk 'writing off' two seasons by appointing interim boss
- East London begin the New Year in fine style with derby delight over rivals Barking
- Religious events in the North Port/Venice communities, beginning Oct. 12
- Why does it always go so wrong for Jose Mourinho in his third season?
- David Freezer: Mocking the Tractor Boys just hasn’t been fun for City fans this season
- Mahogany motorboats with classic Riviera style
- Goan-style braised pork belly with cumin roast potatoes
Wassailing season begins in style in Congresbury have 399 words, post on www.thewestonmercury.co.uk at January 16, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.