How much reliance on pop culture and nostalgia is too much? Thanks to a new featurette for the upcoming movie Ready Player One, that’s a question that may have an answer.
In Ready Player One, people escape from the overcrowded world of the future into a virtual reality landscape filled with their favorite characters and moments from throughout pop culture. As a movie, that lets characters like the Iron Giant and Freddy Krueger battle it out, while players race against the Back to the Future DeLorean, while King Kong destroys a city skyline.
For just about anyone who grew up in the 1980s or 1990s, the endless possibilities sound like a dream come true. As the three new teasers for the film below show, though, the fictional world created by the movie and Ernest Cline novel may be closer to reality than you realize.
“I suddenly saw a future that Ernest Cline, the writer of the book, envisions. It wasn’t that far away from what I think is going to happen someday,” director Steven Spielberg says in one featurette. “There’s a dystopian society and the fabric of our economy is crumbling. It’s a good time to escape, so virtual reality will be a super drug.”
It remains to be seen if that possible future will become a reality, but it’s hard not to see the draw of such a thing. Who wouldn’t want to escape a world that’s falling apart for one filled with your favorite things, if only for a moment?
Of course, before any of that happens there’s going to be some serious upgrades to current virtual reality technology. After all, as much fun as Job Simulator and Farpoint are, they’re still not enough to convince you to leave your real life behind. In the meantime, you’ll have to settle for seeing this insane VR world on the big screen when Ready Player One hits theaters on March 30.
- 'When it comes back, everyone will be ready': Strictly's Anton Du Beke hopes the show will go ahead this year amid COVID-19 crisis
- Steve Ensminger looks ahead to 2020 offense at LSU
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by The American Investment Council - Trump takes his 'ready to reopen' mantra on the road
- AB de Villiers likens Virat Kohli to Roger Federer, Steve Smith to Rafael Nadal
- 'Last Dance' Episode 8 recap: Jordan punched Steve Kerr right in the eye
- Newcastle boss Steve Bruce reckons Premier League’s Project Restart should be put back by three weeks
- 'Fortnite' Party Royale Event With Steve Aoki, deadmau5 & Neon Wings Happening Friday
- Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick Says Football Players Could Return To Campus Before Other Students
- Coronavirus: Third Brighton player tests positive, chief executive Paul Barber confirms
- GOP leader says he never told Steve King he'd back reinstating him on panels
- Virat Kohli or Steve Smith? AB de Villiers gives unique answer; compares them with Federer, Nadal
- Steve Carell, Jim Carrey Mourn Jonathan Winters on Twitter
- Brighton player tests positive, EPL clubs split on restart
- Steve King Says He’s Getting His Committee Assignments Back
- AB de Villiers Compares Virat Kohli to Roger Federer, Feels Steve Smith's Mental Fortitude Matches to Rafael Nadal
- Red Sox OF Verdugo says he’ll be ready for start of season
- Bearded Warriors Coach Steve Kerr Gives A Shout Out To Essential Workers
- Broncos quarterback Drew Lock “super-pumped” about new system, players
- IPL 2020: BCCI is not thinking of staging IPL now, says treasurer Arun Dhumal
- Dolby Atmos: Hollywood's 3D sound now ready for home cinemas
Steve Spielberg Thinks Ready Player One Could Come True have 594 words, post on www.gamespot.com at January 23, 2018. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.