During E3 2017, Rainway Inc. said that its upcoming game streaming service will be made available on the Nintendo Switch, joining Android, iOS, the Xbox consoles, and the PlayStation consoles. The company will provide native apps for these platforms, but the service will be playable in web browsers too on and off those listed platforms.
Slated to go live as a beta on November 25, Rainway will stream games installed on your PC to the devices listed above for free. According to the company, it developed “software techniques” enabling these installed games to stream across the internet at a super-high-quality resolution with “practically” no lag.
“Rainway started as a pivot from our previous venture, Ulterius. We made some really big innovations in bringing real-time desktop streaming to web browsers, and we wanted to shift our focus to our biggest passion: Video games,” Rainway’s Andrew Sampson told Digital Trends. “Using our MSG protocol we’re able to stream video games in real-time to wide array of different devices with minimal latency.”
Despite saying that customers won’t need to purchase additional hardware to run Rainway, users will still need a decent PC to run the games they want to play. PC games have minimum and recommended system requirements, thus Rainway won’t magically make Doom run at an incredible resolution and framerate if the PC can’t handle it on a hardware level.
Currently, there’s no real way to stream installed PC games to mobile devices and consoles. Steam’s In-Home Streaming portion will stream installed games from one PC to another on the same network. Nvidia’s GameStream will stream games from a GeForce-based PC to one of the company’s Shield devices. The open-source Moonlight client expands on that by streaming installed GeForce-powered PC games to Android, Apple’s iOS, Gear VR, the PS Vita, Raspberry Pi, and PCs without a GeForce chip (Windows/Mac/Linux).
That said, the Rainway streaming service won’t be locked down to a specific graphics chip. Instead, it will be compatible will all graphics cards/discrete chips that support DirectX 11. It will also handle the network aspect and secure the connection so that hackers aren’t eavesdropping and invading your PC during gameplay.
Once installed, Rainway will automatically scan your PC for games from Steam, Origin, Uplay, and BattleNET. Users can also make other PC games compatible by piping them through Steam using the “Add a non-Steam game to my library” option under “Games” in the desktop client.
The Rainway beta will begin with web browsers and Android following Apple’s iOS platform and the Xbox One. Unfortunately, the company hasn’t indicated when the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch will be included.
“During our beta we will be optimizing Rainway and ensuring it runs at its best across all PC’s and platforms,” Sampson added.
PC gamers wanting to test the upcoming beta can create a free Rainway account here.
- Fortnite Ace Pack for Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch PS4, Xbox One, and PC Available Now
- SNK’s controversial King of Fighters game could bring ‘busty’ female characters to Nintendo Switch
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for Nintendo Switch Isn't Like Monster Hunter World and That's Okay
- The Best PC Games
- Fortnite v5.30 Patch Brings Peformance Improvements to Xbox One and Nintendo Switch
- Fortnite Season 5 Update Now Live, Brings Gameplay Fixes for Nintendo Switch and iOS
- The Nintendo Switch could be about to get its biggest missing feature
- Nintendo Switch CHEAPEST offer ever ahead of Black Friday 2018 on Amazon
- The best Nintendo Switch games
- YouTube is now available on the Nintendo Switch
- TV à la carte: Which streaming service is right for you?
- Donald Trump joins Amazon's video game streaming platform Twitch
- The Nintendo Switch has dropped to below £250 for the first time
- Football Manager 2019 is now officially available on the Nintendo Switch
- Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu and Eevee review: Addictive fun for veteran gamers and the next generation of trainers on Nintendo Switch
- Apple tipped to launch cheap TV ‘dongle’ with secret new streaming service
- Amazon Prime Music DOWN – hundreds of users report issues with streaming service today
- These Are the 10 Best Nintendo Switch Games to Buy Right Now
- These Are the 10 Best Nintendo Switch Games to Play Right Now
- Robins fans unhappy as streaming service hit with technical issues
Rainway’s PC game streaming service will also support the Nintendo Switch have 751 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at June 14, 2017. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.