Star Wars’ newest heroine is paying tribute to the galaxy’s most famous princess.
“Devastated at this monumental loss,” Ridley, 24, said in a statement to PEOPLE. “How lucky we all are to have known her, and how awful that we have to say goodbye.”
Fisher, 60, was aboard an 11-hour flight from London to Los Angeles on Friday when she went into cardiac arrest. Paramedics removed her from the flight and rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was treated for a heart attack. She later died in the hospital.
Ridley and Fisher costarred in the Force Awakens, with Fisher reprising her role as Princess Leia. During the run-up to the film’s premiere, the actresses spoke about the importance of portraying strong female leads.
“Well, obviously Princess Leia and Carrie are a source of inspiration for girls for the past 30 years,” said Ridley at a Los Angeles press conference. “I’m definitely not quite there yet but I hope Rey will be something of a girl power figure.”
RELATED: Iconic Star Wars Actress Carrie Fisher Dies at 60
Fisher also spoke to Ridley about her “sex symbol” status, warning the actress to remain in control of her own image. “You should fight for your outfit,” Fisher told Ridley in Interview Magazine. “Don’t be a slave like I was.”
Since her death, other members of the famous franchise have paid tribute to Fisher’s life and legacy, including Star Wars creator George Lucas and her Star Wars costars Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill, who played Han Solo and Luke Skywalker respectively.
“Carrie was one-of-a-kind…brilliant, original,” Ford said in a statement to PEOPLE. “Funny and emotionally fearless. She lived her life, bravely … My thoughts are with her daughter Billie, her mother Debbie, her brother Todd, and her many friends. We will all miss her.”
Hamill was speechless about the heartbreaking news of Fisher’s death: “No words #Devastated,” the actor tweeted alongside a photo of the two during their Star Wars years.
Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams also expressed his condolences on Twitter, in addition to costars Lupita Nyong’o, Rian Johnson, Gwendoline Christie and Andy Serkis.
- Which Iconic Star Wars Characters Will Appear in the Disney+ Lego Special?
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' premiere was the biggest thing Hollywood has ever seen
- Some Police Think Leaking Star Wars 7 Spoilers Should Be a Crime
- D23 Highs & Lows: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’, ‘Wrinkle In Time,’ ‘Jedi’ & ‘Mary Poppins’ – But No ‘Black Panther’
- 25 Times Actors Got Paid Less Than Their Co-Stars
- The 11 Most Influential Action Heroines of Our Time
- JJ Abrams says Luke Skywalker questions will be answered in The Force Awakens
- Prince Philip dies at 99: Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William react - LIVE UPDATES
- I HATE YOU. AND YOUR STUPID MOVIE ...HD-DVD!
- Finding Identity for Armenian Genocide Survivors Is Still a Struggle | Opinion
- Biden bashed for not offering condolences to the Queen after Prince Philip’s death as world leaders give their support
- LAPD officials slam Oscars celebs for anti-law enforcement rhetoric during police-guarded event
- The 36 best movies on HBO right now
- The 45 best true crime series to watch on Netflix right now
- Prince Talks
- It’s All Wunnerful for Liberace
Star Wars' Daisy Ridley Mourns 'Monumental Loss' of Carrie Fisher have 551 words, post on people.com at December 27, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.