A MUM who dropped 11 stone in two years is now crowdfunding to surgically remove nearly a stone of excess skin.
Amanda Roberts, 23, underwent drastic gastric bypass surgery in 2014 when she was just 21 years old so she could be an active mother for her daughter Talia, now three.
At 5ft 7, Amanda tipped the scales at 23-and-a-half stone and was a dress size 30, making moving around hard work.
Incredibly Amanda, from California, shed 11 stone in two years – but she was left with heaps of loose skin on her stomach and back, which weighs around a stone.
Now she is trying to raise enough cash to have the skin removed.
Amanda explained: “The reason for the crowdfunding is that I cannot afford the surgery myself.
“Our family doesn’t have a lot of money, and my insurance has said it will not cover the procedure.
“I’m trying to save up the money, but the crowdfunding would help me to get the surgery a lot sooner, which would help me on my health journey.”
Growing up Amanda would comfort eat – but after years of scoffing too much food, her stomach stretched to the point where she almost never felt full.
On an average day she would devour stacks of pancakes for breakfast, a huge pasta lunch and meat with a dollop of creamy mashed potato for dinner.
On top of this she would gorge on cookies and sweets, making her total consumption around 3,000 calories a day.
But after having the procedure on December 29 two years ago, Amanda had to drastically change her ways, living on a liquid diet for two weeks after the surgery.
She now eats a small portion of eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch and chicken and vegetables for dinner.
Amanda managed to shed an impressive 11 stone in 24 months – taking her to 12st 8 by November 2016.
She also slashed her dress size from a size 30 to a size 10.
Amanda said: “It is the best feeling in the world to finally be at the weight I am.
“I’m now at the smallest weight I’ve ever been in my adult life and healthier than ever.
“I’m able to work out regularly, I have a ton of confidence, and I’m able to be the mother I’ve always wanted to be for my daughter.”
But one side-effect Amanda didn’t anticipate was how the excess skin would impact her life.
She admitted: “A problem I am facing now is, because of the loose skin on my body, I am having a hard time with normal tasks like exercising and running.”
Amanda shares pictures on her Instagram profile to her 18,000 followers highlighting the excess skin issues she faces.
Every Thursday Amanda posts a snap of her loose skin to encourage people to love their bodies for what they are.
She said: “It’s one of the things I’m most proud of with my journey, and I’ve been told by a lot of people it’s helped inspire them to start to love themselves, even if it’s only on Thursday.”
But as she is a full-time mum to little Talia and her fiancé Brice, 25, is the main breadwinner, working as a ramp agent at a local airport, money is tight.
So Amanda has decided to try to crowdfund her excess skin surgery.
She has been quoted £8,000 for a tummy tuck, breast lift, butt lift and arm reduction surgery from a hospital in Mexico.
So far Amanda has managed to raise £286 ($355).
To donate, visit: https://www.gofundme.com/mandasmuffintop
Last month we told how an American woman who lost a staggering nine stone was left with the “body of a 90-year-old” due to her sagging skin.
- Nurse who lost 12 stone gets last laugh after rejecting man who fat-shamed her
- Mum with size H breasts raises £10k for reduction surgery after wasting hundreds on bras
- Mum who could 'hardly breathe' and struggled to walk on school run sheds 5 stone
- Mum shopping for new wedding gown after dropping three dress sizes with £8 app
- Two children face being orphaned as mum battles terminal cancer after dad's death
- UK baby ‘turning to stone’ diagnosed with rare illness
- Long Lost Family viewers in tears as mum suffers a stroke just seven years after finally meeting her daughter
- Balaclava clue 'could clear' Michael Stone over hammer murders of mum and daughter
- I gave birth to an 11-pound baby, my man was gobsmacked & we couldn’t even do up her newborn clothes
- My 34H boobs weigh a stone – women are intimidated & blokes leer, every night out ends up with people staring at them
- Ronnie Wood: Rolling Stone legend, 73, breaks silence on 'secret lockdown cancer battle'
- 'Finding my birth mum after years completely changed me - I learned how to be loved'
- Big Tech is still profiting from 9/11 conspiracy theories, 20 years on
- ‘An Incredible Day’ As Lee Statue Removed In Charlottesville
- Mum and dad BOTH diagnosed with cancer within months of each other as they bring up kids aged 6 & 4 and baby
- 9/11 Museum’s 20th-Anniversary Exhibitions Become Victims of Cuts
- Long lost siblings abandoned as babies discover parents' heartbreaking 50-year secret
- Maurizio Cattelan’s New Work Pays Visceral Tribute to the Pain of 9/11
- Curtis Stone Shares His Tasty Must-Have Items for Brunch - E! Online
- Mum-of-three is unrecognisable after changing diet to lose three-and-half stone
Mum who lost 11 stone is crowdfunding to raise £8,000 to remove her saggy ‘muffin top’ have 870 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at November 15, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.