Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey does what it takes to lose weight and get in shape for movie roles. For instance, the 46-year-old had to look buff for his role as male stripper Dallas in the 2012 comedic drama Magic Mike.
McConaughey earned an Academy Award and Golden Globe for 2013’s biopic Dallas Buyers Club. He shed close to 50 pounds to portray Ron Woodroof, a man with AIDS who works the system to help others get the medication they need. Talk about commitment to the role.
For his next film, Gold, Matthew McConaughey gained 40 pounds. McConaughey plays Nevada man Kenny Wells, whose life changes when he makes the largest gold find ever while in the Borneo jungles.
McConaughey’s overweight look for the movie was necessary, says director Stephen Gaghan. He sported his own receding hairline, and didn’t even have a prosthetic belly.
Stephen Gaghan didn’t think McConaughey could put on the weight quickly, and even thought of getting the former Sexiest Man Alive to adopt a beer and milkshake diet. There`s been no word on McConaughey’s diet for the movie, but either way he was able to gain 40 pounds and the belly for the role. The results are quite noticeable:
That being said, he likely won’t mind the major transformation if the weight gain leads to another Academy Award. The American release date for Gold is set for Christmas day.
What is Matthew McConaughey’s diet when he`s not required to gain or lose weight for a potential Oscar-winning role?
McConaughey realized that being in shape is 90% diet, 10% working out. He is known to have a low-glycemic diet that contains foods with a glycemic index score of 55 or less.
These foods raise blood sugar levels slowly, and control diabetes complications and insulin resistance. A low GI diet also prevents heart disease, assists weight loss, and improves cholesterol levels.
McConaughey consumes low GI foods like cabbage, spinach, broccoli, beans, cucumber, peas, red peppers, onions, and high-fiber cereals. The actor also consumes most of his food in the morning. He`s also a big fan of whey protein shakes, which he drinks every couple of hours, and before and after his training regimen.
McConaughey also indulges in a glass of wine daily. Wine provides some health benefits for him, like increasing his muscle vascularity.
McConaughey is known for his impressively chiseled body, and has always had a regular cardio routine. McConaughey’s cardio routine involves a four- to five-mile beach run, which includes periodically stopping for sets of 30 push-ups at a time, and he will complete a total of 200 throughout the run.
To prepare for Magic Mike, McConaughey worked out with celebrity trainer Gunnar Peterson. Peterson recommend two circuit-training sessions daily for six days a week. Since he was already in great shape, the workout focused on conditioning his body while maintaining his lean mass, rather than building bulk.
McConaughey’s Magic Mike workout involved lots of short bursts of cardio exercises mixed with a weightlifting routine. It is Peterson’s trademark 4-5-6-6-5-4 routine, where participants go on the treadmill for four minutes, followed by a five-minute exercise, two six-minute exercises, and another five- and four-minute routine. The workout approach is thought to force people to work harder while the short bursts allow the person to push non-stop for half an hour.
His regular weekly workout consists of exercises like dumbbell squats and presses, dumbbell forward lunges, dumbbell side lunges, stability ball leg curls, forearm planks with leg lifts, twisting planks, crunches, reverse crunches, walking planks, walking planks, leg lifts, abdominal twists, jumping rope, and mountain climber exercises.
Guerrasio, J., “Matthew McConaughey gained 40 pounds and a receding hairline for his new movie,” Business Insider Singapore web site, Aug. 31 2016; http://www.businessinsider.sg/matthew-mcconaughey-gained-weight-gold-2016-8/#oXXX191rpEvYkgRE.97.
- Best Netflix movies to watch now
- The 24 movies you've got to see this summer
- Patricia Morison, the original 'Kiss Me, Kate' star, dies at 103
- Summer movie preview: An (almost) sequel-free guide to the season
- Country Music Hall's new 'Outlaws' exhibit stars Waylon, Willie and the boys — and much more
- Kettle Moraine star golfer Abby Cavaiani made headlines during her record-setting season. Now, she's eyeing a US Women's Open spot.
- Woody Harrelson, Rogue Number One
- Why The Fifth Estate is the perfect thing to stream this weekend
- 'May the fourth be with you': 5 things to do May 4-6
- 10 Top Trends in Africa
- Look Ahead: The hottest Seattle events for June 2018
- Our ‘Best Friend’ Rihanna Gives Us 10 Minutes of FaceTime With Fenty Beauty
- Luxury hotels that you should add to your bucket list
- Avengers 4: A deep dive into the speculation surrounding the Marvel blockbuster
- Holy haute couture: Divine designs grace red carpet at Met Gala
- Netflix tipped to buy Cannes' opening night film despite fallout
- Guru's Weekly Pick: May 18-24
- NFL No-Knee Rule Blasted as Slap at Blacks
- Is R. Kelly's time up? Movement takes aim at Chicago-born R&B singer
- Elm Grove native and UWGB graduate Mary Gallagher is performing on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' tonight
Oscar-Winning Dallas Buyers Club Star Matthew McConaughey’s Weight Gain for Upcoming Movie Gold have 828 words, post on www.foodsforbetterhealth.com at September 12, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.