© AFP 2019 / DAVID HANCOCKAlmost Half of Australians Support Ban on Muslim Immigration to CountryMOSCOW (Sputnik) – On September 14, Hanson, who is a leader of the right-wing party One Nation called for a ban on Muslim migration in her first speech in the Senate, the parliament’s upper house. “Our society is diminished by inflammatory rhetoric or appeals to xenophobia. We expect our political representatives to set the tone for our society, not to be targeting particular groups with hostility. We should be forthright in speaking out against political appeals to fear. And we should resist political attempts to divide Australians according to race or religion,” Soutphommasane’s speech notes said, as quoted by The Guardian. © AP Photo / Rick Rycroft, FileNauruan President Defends Participation in Australia’s Migrant Centers ProgramHe is expected to make his remarks at a forum at the Australian National University. Soutphommasane is going to remind that 20 years ago Hanson had said that Australia was swamped by Asians, who felt unwelcome in Australia after that. “Today, it is Muslim Australians who may feel unwelcome. This is the cost of the politics of division,” he is expected to say. According to the fresh Essential poll, 49 percent of Australians support Hanson’s initiative while 40 percent oppose it.
- MH370 search chief slams mass murder-suicide claims, saying plane most likely ran out of fuel and crashed after getting lost
- DFB chief slams Ozil, Gundogan photos with Turkish president
- Insecurity: Security chiefs at Senate, demand special funding
- BREAKING: Service Chiefs Meet Senate Behind Closed Doors
- Nonvote a vote for ‘rebels’, AIDS Authority chief slams Rainsy’s call to boycott national elections
- Former Army chiefs slam Northern Ireland ‘witch hunt’ and demand amnesty for British soldiers caught up in Troubles
- King’s Lynn Town chief slams new league structure
- Australian court convicts Muslim woman for failing to stand
- Myanmar security forces ask Rohingya Muslims to vacate ‘safe zone’
- Racing chief hails Australian doping scandal verdicts
Australian Discrimination Chief to Slam Senator for Muslim Migration Initiative have 323 words, post on sputniknews.com at September 21, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.