The campaign to bring Dungeons & Dragons back to the big screen has officially begun, and Warner Bros. Pictures is hoping it rolls a natural 20 with the first member of the film’s cast.
The Fault in Our Stars and The Divergent Series actor Ansel Elgort is reportedly in negotiations to play a lead role in the upcoming movie based on the popular role-playing game. The exact role he might play is unknown, but the film will feature a script by The Conjuring 2 and Wrath of the Titans screenwriter David Leslie Johnson.
Deadline initially reported Elgort’s involvement with the film, and stressed that the actor is still in early talks for the role, so nothing is official at this point.
In April, it was announced that Goosebumps and Monsters vs. Aliens director Rob Letterman was attached to helm the film, which will be the latest in a series of attempts to adapt the game for the screen. An animated series based on Dungeons & Dragons first premiered in 1983, and was followed by a live-action film in 2000 that underperformed at the box office and failed to spawn the big-screen franchise that the studio had hoped for. It did, however, generate the 2005 made-for-television sequel Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God and the 2012 direct-to-video sequel Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness.
The upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie was first announced in 2013, and, after a brief legal tussle over the rights to make the movie — Hasbro owns the game’s parent company, Wizards of the Coast — Warner Bros. pushed ahead with the project.
There’s currently no production timetable for the Dungeons & Dragons movie.
- Need for Speed the Plow: David Mamet to adapt stage satire for big screen
- Big Bang to big screen: Jim Parsons lands first leading role in movie
- AEW and ex-WWE star Jon Moxley switches ring for big screen as he stars in hit movie alongside UFC icon Chuck Liddell
- Spy vs Spy long-gestating movie adaptation moves forward with producer Ron Howard and director Rawson Marshall Thurber
- Taika Waititi To Direct And Co-Write New ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- Taika Waititi Approached For New ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- All upcoming Star Wars movies and shows
- Star Wars is smart to bet the franchise’s future on its past
- Rob Lowe gets into character as New York City firefighter to film scenes for 911: Lone Star on location in Big Apple
- Harry Potter star Jason Isaacs, 55, swaps Lucius Malfoy's robes for trunks as he shows off his ageless physique during chilly dip at Miami beach
- Carpenter to Han Solo—Star Wars' Impact on Harrison Ford's Career
- Watch: Darth Vader Returns in New 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Trailer
- Normal People: When book adaptations go right
- As Indie Films Look to Drive-Ins for Theatrical Runs, a Masked Cast and Crew Celebrate Under the Stars
- 'Kaun Banega Crorepati 12' selection process goes digital; Big B shoots promo video from Jalsa
- Irrfan Khan, Bollywood Star of 'Life of Pi' and 'Slumdog Millionaire,' Dies at 53
- Resident Evil Reboot Wants Ant-Man 2 Star Hannah John-Kamen as Jill Valentine
- 'We felt incredibly empowered' Normal People star Paul Mescal details his experience filming 'honest' sex scenes with co-star Daisy Edgar-Jones
- Judi Dench becomes Vogue's oldest cover star - and is potty-mouthed about 'mangy' Cats character
- Next Big Thing: Morgan Smithies is making waves with Wigan Warriors
Big-screen ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ adaptation may have found its first star have 595 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at June 28, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.