The actor came home one night in 1999 and found his wife naked and unconscious at the bottom of their pool, with authorities saying alcohol contributed to the accidental drowning. Shatner and Nerine, a former model, were wed two years before her death. It was Shatner’s third marriage.
On SiriusXM’s Tell Me Everything, the Star Trek star told host John Fugelsang that no one can understand the agony an addict goes through.
“I don’t understand the agony. I am empathetic to the agony. I am in agony myself, not about drinking … but whatever my agonies are,” Shatner said.
Star Trek costar Leonard Nimoy, who struggled with addiction during his life, helped Shatner try to pick up the pieces after his wife’s death.[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/248402387″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true&show_comments=true&color=false&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]
“Leonard helped me try to understand, Yes, agony belongs to all of us. Agony is party of the soul,” said Shatner, 84. “Somebody who hasn’t felt agony hasn’t lived. Hasn’t participated in what life is. But there is a special agony for somebody who wants to give up the addiction and can’t. The shame that they must feel. The self-degradation.”
Shatner opens up about his wife’s death and his relationship with Nimoy in his new book Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man.
Tell Me Everything airs weekdays (2:00 p.m. ET_ on SiriusXM s Insight channel 121.
- The Royal Wedding was a modest affair... apart from the fashion chaos: Thats the waspish verdict of ROY STRONG, who had a ringside seat at Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton - as he reveals in the second part of his mischievous new memoirs
- The 53 best shows on Hulu right now
- All of Robert De Niro’s Comedic Roles, Ranked
- Men undergoing radiotherapy for prostate cancer could be spared one of the treatment's most distressing side effects – thanks to a simple injection of gel
- FMIA Week 13: After Stunning The Seahawks, Giants Have NFL Thinking They Might Be A Problem In January
- The 53 best movies on Amazon Prime right now
- The 39 Most Defining Memes of 2020
- America's deadliest serial killer was caught, charged and tried - but continued to murder
- David L. Lander, Squiggy on 'Laverne & Shirley,' Dies at 73
- The FIRST to roll up their sleeves on V-Day: From 99-year-old WWII hero to nurse, 28, whose wedding was postponed by the pandemic... the brave Britons who beat the rest of the world to getting Pfizer Covid jab
- 'It was a massive day for me... and the world': V-Day hero grandmother, 90, who became first person to have Covid jab urges vaccine sceptics to get the injection after being discharged from hospital
- Meghan Markle says 'bad voices' on social media are 'so loud and so damaging' that she's quit her accounts for her own self preservation - while Prince Harry decries the 'global crisis of hate'
- "You have one job, Joe"
- The best shows to binge-watch on Netflix right now
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Supreme Court rejects bid by Trump allies to overturn election results
- Documents allegedly show Hunter Biden signed off on laptop repairs
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Arizona certifies President-elect Biden’s win — by nearly 10,500 votes — over Trump
- The 45 best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best PS4 exclusives for 2020
- The 100 best series to watch on Amazon Prime
William Shatner Recalls 'Agony' After Losing Wife to Addiction and How Leonard Nimoy Helped Him Move On have 592 words, post on people.com at February 22, 2016. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.