New York state’s chief financial regulator, Benjamin Lawsky, has outlined the final version of rules for companies dealing in bitcoins at a business conference in Washington.
The 44-page rule book aims to add more oversight to the virtual currency that has gained in popularity and moved into the commercial mainstream.
Lawsky’s office has worked for two years on stipulations requiring businesses to obtain a special license if they use bitcoin or other digital currencies
He said firms dealing in bitcoin would now need a special compliance officer to make sure the new rules were adhered to.
“We are excited about the potential that digital currency holds for helping drive long-overdue changes in our ossified payments system,” Lawsky said in a statement. “We simply want to make sure that we put in place guardrails that protect consumers and root out illicit activity – without stifling beneficial innovation.”
The rules only apply to businesses operating within New York state. But these firms can have customers from all over the US except from states that object to the use of digital currencies.
Also under the new stipulations, bitcoin companies will not need prior approval from regulators for standard updates to software and apps.
“We’re not Apple”, Lawsky said.
Firms also won’t need approval for each new round of capital fundraising.
hg/cjc (AP, dpa)
- New York state is sending one million masks to NYC, Gov. Cuomo says
- Harvey Weinstein Tests Positive for Coronavirus in New York State Prison (Report)
- Report: Harvey Weinstein In New York State Prison, Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- US now has the THIRD most coronavirus infections in the world behind China and Italy, New York State has 6% with 20,875 and NYC has 4% with 12,305
- New York state has 10 times the coronavirus cases California has. Why?
- New York state has 10 times the COVID-19 cases California has. Why?
- Fallen Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein moved to New York state prison
- Coronavirus Update: Cuomo Reiterates, New York State Doesn’t Have Enough ICU Beds
- Coronavirus update: New York state, California bear the brunt
- Harvey Weinstein begins 23-year sentence at New York state prison
- Harvey Weinstein transferred to New York state prison a day before 68th birthday
- Coronavirus: New York State Waives Mortgage Payments for 90 Days
- Roundup: New York state becomes COVID-19 epicenter in U.S. with over 10,000 cases
- New York state becomes COVID-19 epicenter in U.S. with over 10,000 cases
- New York state becomes COVID-19 epicenter in US with over 10,000 cases
- New York State has 40 percent of US coronavirus cases
- Stay-At-Home Coronavirus Order Issued For New York State: Cuomo
- New York State to build temporary hospitals amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo Announces Start of Chloroquine Test Trials in New York State to Treat Coronavirus
- New York State fights coronavirus with blood plasma from recovered patients
Bitcoin gets regulated in New York state have 457 words, post on www.dw.com at June 4, 2015. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.