Ubisoft’s mea culpa free downloadable content offering for the rocky launch of Assassin’s Creed Unity leads off a week that is otherwise light on releases as the industry recovers from the holiday rush. Far Cry 4 also gets its first expansion, and a few interesting offerings are entering early access on Steam for gamers that want to get involved in the development process.
What will you be playing this week?
Assassin’s Creed Unity: Dead Kings DLC
PS4/Windows/XB1 (January 13)Assassin’s Creed Unity continues Arno’s adventures in revolutionary France in the nearby city of Saint Denis, famous for its royal necropolis beneath the basilica. New enemies, weapons, and quests give you plenty more to do in Ubisoft’s latest historical murder fantasia.
The DLC is free to anyone that purchased the game, as an apology for Unity‘s less-than-stellar performance at launch. Fans that had already purchased the Season Pass were instead offered a free game from Ubisoft’s library.
H1Z1 (Early Access)
Windows (January 15)EverQuest and PlanetSide turns its attention to the zombie apocalypse. Scavenge for resources, build shelters, and craft the tools you’ll need to survive in the zombie-infested United States. Unlike comparable multiplayer zombie survival games, the focus of gameplay will be on teamwork rather than player-versus-player combat.
The game is entering early access this week, which costs $20. When it launches in full later this year, it will be free-to-play. Microtransactions will be available for cosmetic upgrades, but not gameplay enhancers.
Mac/Windows (January 15)Tengami is a soothing, light adventure/puzzle game set inside a beautifully designed pop-up book. All of the elements appear to be made of crisp, colorful paper in the style of feudal Japan, when the game’s story is set.
With lightweight puzzles, this is more a game for relaxation than head-scratching challenge. Lush visuals and a soothing soundtrack make for a rich sensory experience.
JumpJet Rex (Early Access)
Linux/Mac/Windows (January 14)JumpJet Rex. Navigate classic, early-90s-style platforming with a dinosaur wearing rocket boots. Like the old Mega Man games that inspired it, the controls are easy to learn, but tricky to master.
In the vein of Shovel Knight, JumpJet Rex is a studied homage to classic platformers, but with modern touches like editing/sharing tools, avatar customization, and both asynchronous and simultaneous multiplayer.
What else is coming:
- Far Cry 4: Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC (PS3, PS4, Windows, X360, XB1/Jan. 13) — The first expansion to Far Cry 4 adds a challenging new prison-break mode with permanent death looming to keep the stakes high.
- Reverse Side (Windows/Jan. 14) — You are the sole survivor of a spaceship crash on the moon, sent there to investigate a research station that went dark in this atmospheric adventure game.
- Avernum 2: Crystal Souls (Mac, Windows/Jan. 14) — Spiderweb Software continues its third round in as many decades of remaking its indie RPGs that prioritize story and gameplay over visual flash.
- Best Indie Games in 2019 for Switch, PS4, Xbox
- When does Rocket League Halloween 2019 event start?
- Fortnite has reached The End – changing video game storytelling for good
- 'It's a new golden age': Radio 3 launches video game music show
- Fortnite season 11 event ends with a cosmic explosion and now the game is gone
- Fortnite season 11 event ended with a cosmic explosion and now the game is gone
- China's internet giant Tencent quietly resumes broadcasts of NBA games despite blacklisting the US basketball association just a week ago because its boss supports freedom of speech
- Fortnite Black Hole: Is this really the end for Battle Royale? Is Fortnite over?
- LeBron James is slammed as a hypocrite and accused of pandering to China for calling Rockets GM Daryl Morey 'misinformed' over his tweets supporting Hong Kong's pro-democracy protesters
- Social media erupts after LeBron James says Rockets GM was 'misinformed' about China
- Fortnite Chapter 2 begins after game returns from black hole
- LeBron James: Rockets' GM 'wasn't educated' on subject when he tweeted support for Hong Kong
- Fortnite returns: Leaked trailer of the game's second chapter appears online after players were left stunned when the map was COMPLETELY wiped out by a 'black hole' stunt on Sunday
- Queen's £100m a year windfall: Green energy earnings of the Royal Family are set to be boosted by an auction for the biggest offshore windpower development in the world
- Royal Navy faces Iran swarm threat with NATO partners
- Running coach reveals how even couch potatoes can run 5K within EIGHT weeks - by tackling the stairs and giving yourself a break every minute
- China suspended ties with the NBA last week. Now it's starting to restore them
- Royal Navy to fight threat from Russia's new secret weapon
- Fortnite Save the World FREE codes: Epic Games making STW free during Season 11?
- China rounds on Rockets after GM's Hong Kong tweet
This week in gaming: Royal crypts and rocket dinosaurs have 830 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at January 14, 2015. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.