NEW YORK — LeBron James understands it will take time, but he wants Donald Sterling out of the NBA.
And he said Sunday that NBA players believe nobody in Sterling’s family should be able to own the Los Angeles Clippers if he’s gone.
Sterling has been banned for life for making racist comments and Commissioner Adam Silver has urged owners to force Sterling to sell the franchise. But Silver said no decisions had been made about the rest of Sterling’s family.
The attorney for Shelly Sterling, Sterling’s estranged wife, said her client intends to keep her 50 percent of the franchise.
“As players, we want what’s right and we don’t feel like no one in his family should be able to own the team,” James said after the Miami Heat practiced for Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Brooklyn.
James was one of the first and strongest voices to speak out after a recording of Donald Sterling’s remarks to V. Stiviano were posted on TMZ’s website last month, saying the comments were unacceptable and that there was no place in the league for Sterling.
The league is trying to act quickly to remove him. Dick Parsons has been installed as the Clippers’ interim CEO, and the owners’ advisory/finance committee has held conference calls each of the last two weeks to discuss that process and timeline for a forced sale. That would require a three-fourths vote of owners.
But Sterling, who bought the team in 1981 and is the NBA’s longest-tenured owner, could choose to fight those attempts by the league.
“At the end of the day, this is going to be a long litigation when it comes to that,” James said. “This guy who’s owned the team since the `80s is not going to just give the team up in a day. So we understand it’s going to be long, but we want what’s right.”
- What you need to know about new I Promise School opened by LeBron James
- LeBron James opens I Promise School In Akron, Ohio
- Twitter Explodes Over Donald Trump's 'Disgusting' Attack On LeBron James
- LeBron James: 'No matter if I'm playing in Los Angeles or not, Akron is always home for me'
- High on hope, Lakers fans cash in for new LeBron James jerseys
- Trump insults LeBron James on Twitter
- Betsy DeVos Should Be Replaced by LeBron James as Education Secretary, Petition Says
- Thousands sign petition calling for LeBron James to replace Betsy DeVos
- LeBron James opens the new I Promise School in Akron
- LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers beat L.A. Clippers in OT
- Stephen Curry or LeBron James: You can pick one to build your NBA franchise around - who ya got?
- LeBron James is the star-crossed King of the NBA
- From Fly Williams to LeBron James, many legends made point to play in hallowed Queens gym’s tourney
- LeBron James and Kyrie Irving are driving the conversation this offseason
- LeBron James tweets story about Philando Castile, says it ‘sickens me’ after police shootings
- Stephen A. Smith's take on LeBron James blurs the line between reporting and self-promotion
- How to fix the NBA’s problem of having superstars like LeBron James and Steph Curry take nights off
- Do the Houston Rockets have a shot at LeBron James in free agency? It's not outlandish
- LeBron James is still King but Kevin Durant and Golden State may have closed his championship window
- Cavaliers don’t want to anger LeBron James but in no rush to give J.R. Smith long-term deal
LeBron James: Players want Clippers kept away from Sterling family have 577 words, post on www.foxsports.com at May 11, 2014. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.