Dragging my stilettos, I only made it to the Savoy theatre for Sheridan Smith’s penultimate performance in this fluffy pink import to the West End. Rarely have a show and its star made for such a perfect match. Three minutes into my solitary (in every sense) trip to Legally Blonde the Musical, the shrill of its opening number, Omigod You Guys, had me reaching for the Migraleve. Three years on, it still rates as one of my most restorative West End experiences – and, to date, it’s the only original cast recording I’ve downloaded for my commute. Legally Blonde’s unexpected success, both critical and commercial, relied on two things: the intricate construction of the show itself and the luminosity of Smith, its lead. Neither was a safe bet when they arrived on the London stage. Jerry Mitchell’s production had done well but not that well on Broadway. And despite her stage background, Smith was still known for playing “mainly slappers” on British TV, notably in BBC3’s inexplicably long-running Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps. Fans of the original film will know the plot: Malibu barbie Elle Woods (Smith) has been dumped by her douchebag beau, Warner Huntington… Read full this story
- We want these 10 Broadways shows to come to London
- Kings Theatre’s summer school is in full swing
- 'I want the fairy tale': Why Pretty Woman was meant to end unhappily ever after
- St Pauls Players in Adlington to perform Avenue Q
- How old is Denise Van Outen, when did she split from husband Lee Mead and who’s her boyfriend Eddie Boxshall?
- 35 under 35: Plymouth's super-smart rising stars
- Curve reveals stars of its festive show White Christmas
- Coronation Street star Faye Brookes and Gareth Gates have split
- Gareth Gates and Coronation Street actress Faye Brookes split after six years
- Sheridan Smith hits out at lying ex-boyfriends on new single Priceless
Musicals we love: Legally Blonde have 323 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 10, 2014. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.