NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The countdown calendar to Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium is apparently in the trash along with the New York Giants' season.
The calendar, hung near the Giants' locker room, was thought up by general manager Jerry Reese, who was looking to put his team on notice after missing the playoffs three out of four years.
Now it'll be four of five. The Giants were eliminated from playoff contention on Sunday.
"I didn't put it up, so I'm not taking it down," coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday, according to the New York Daily News.
Coughlin was asked whether the so-called clock to Feb. 2 had been sacked.
"I don't know," he replied. "You tell me."
Shortly after his comments hit Twitter, various outlets reported that time had indeed run out on the countdown calendar.
Victor Cruz on the now missing Super Bowl countdown clock: “It was just a number on a board.” #NYG
— Ralph Vacchiano (@RVacchianoNYDN) December 11, 2013
"Nothing takes away the sting except getting in the tournament and having a chance to win the Super Bowl," Reese said in July. "We want to do better and we will do better."
With three games remaining, the Giants (5-8) are guaranteed to finish worse than 2012, when they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. They'll host the Seattle Seahawks (11-2) on Sunday.
"A dream is a goal with a deadline" pic.twitter.com/1jmOclyS5N
— William Beatty (@willbeatty65) July 30, 2013
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
[display-posts category="sports" wrapper="ul" posts_per_page="4″]
- Google Assistant's sweet advert with a husband asking the device to record memories of his late wife warms hearts during hotly anticipated $400million Super Bowl adverts as Bill Murray's 'Groundhog Day' reprisal for Jeep gets the most plaudits
- How to watch Super Bowl live stream online for free: see the comeback Chiefs celebrate live on these channels
- Super Bowl 2018: Remarkable 51-year QB curse could be broken by Tom Brady
- Giants legend Eli Manning joins Twitter, gets Super Bowl-flavored welcome from Tom Brady
- Top 12 Super Bowl runners-up ranked, from the 18-1 Patriots to the first AFL representative
- ViacomCBS Ad Chief Jo Ann Ross On Company’s “Consumable” Upfront Approach, Outlook For 2020 Spending, Super Bowl LV
- Arik Armstead explains why the 49ers will avoid the dreaded Super Bowl hangover
- Robert Kraft's Super Bowl LI ring sells for over $1M at auction benefiting coronavirus relief
- Two members of Seahawks defense bash Cam Newton after Super Bowl 50
- ESPN is producing a 9-part documentary series on Tom Brady's Super Bowl runs
- Just before Super Bowl LII kickoff, Tom Brady reveals his plans for next year
- A subtle link between The Last Dance and Super Bowl XLIX
- Super Bowl LIII referee thinks one idea could fix NFL's officiating system, wants league to 'embrace' it
- NASA scientists ‘may have found evidence of parallel universe where time runs backwards’
- Ex-Giants Pitcher John Burkett Builds Field Of Dreams For Bowling
- Giants 2020 schedule: Predicting every game, week-by-week odds, matchups, projections
- Chennai Super Kings All-time XI: Dhoni, Raina, Bravo form bedrock of IPL’s biggest success story
- Pro Bowl returner Mecole Hardman may see role limited as Chiefs focus on his development as a pass catcher
- Former Bucs Pro Bowl WR says expectations are 'super high' for Tom Brady
- Nasa is sending astronauts to ISS on Elon Musk’s spaceship for 1st time next week – allowing US to ditch Russian rockets
Time Runs Out On Giants’ Super Bowl Countdown Calendar have 632 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at December 11, 2013. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.