Valve officially commented on rumors surrounding their supposed development of hardware—referred to as the “Steam Box” in the gaming press. Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi spoke with Kotaku, saying the company has built test boxes to prep the Steam Big Picture Mode UI (an online gaming interface) for shipping, and experimented with biometric feedback. However, Lombardi added, “All of that is stuff that we’re working on, but it’s a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware.”
Lombardi’s comments did not completely deny that hardware could be in Valve’s future. Kotaku’s Stephen Totilo pressed him on it in fact:
When I posted it to him this way—”What you’re saying is, there’s definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3, but what you’re not ruling out is the possibility that, hey, maybe some day Valve would make hardware,” he said, “I think that’s accurate.”
One of the premier gaming events is currently happening in San Francisco, the GDC conference, and no major Valve announcements surrounding hardware have been made. E3 awaits in early June, but Lombardi’s comments make it seem like fans shouldn’t hold their breath for any “Steam Box” news then either.
- Apple Glass: Release date, price, rumors, and more
- RTX 2070 is the most popular Turing GPU for Steam gamers
- Apple Car: Release date, price, features, rumors, and more
- Tim Cook didn’t visit Valve, says Valve Co-Founder
- As shipping delays continue, NZ Inc looks for alternatives
- On the wings of love! Brave singletons have their Tinder bios printed on fried chicken boxes in the hope of finding a match - from a dapper male model to a violin and chess playing medical student
- Apple AR headset rumors: Apple may release headset in 2022, glasses by 2023
- Nvidia's Ampere GPUs Steam Ahead to 1 Percent Theoretical Market Share
- The Oculus Quest 2 is now the most-used VR headset on Steam
- iPhone 12 rumors: Purported prices, colors, and capacities leak for all models
- iPad 2018 rumors: Landscape Face ID, 4K HDR video output, new Magnetic Connector, and Apple Pencil 2
- Apple's VR headset could be the road to glasses: The latest rumors and reports
- Apple Watch series 6 and watchOS 7 rumors: Blood oxygen levels, sleep tracking, and more
- Apple's VR, AR headset plans: The latest rumors and reports
- iPhone 11 rumors: The new iPhones have a sensor coprocessor named 'Rose' or 'R1'
- iPhone 7 rumors: Lightning EarPods and adapter will help transition away from the headphone jack
- The biggest question about the next iPhone: What’s in the box?
- iPhone 6s rumors: 'Hey Siri' hints at always-on personal assistant
- Apple WWDC last minute rumors: Major iPhone and iPad UI changes, but no new hardware
- Zune Diary: Out of the Box
Valve on “Steam Box” rumors: “long way from shipping any sort of hardware” have 470 words, post on arstechnica.com at March 9, 2012. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.