analyst predictions to that effect earlier this month.
The company commented that it “expects this latest price move to fuel consumer demand even further” for its current-gen device – the console sold almost 275,000 units in North America in March, ahead of all other game hardware, including the Xbox 360, which was continuing to suffer hardware shortages at the time.
Sony also updated on statistics, revealing that more than 101 million PlayStation 2 units and approximately one billion pieces of software for the PlayStation 2 have shipped worldwide, and that the PlayStation 2 has a 55.6 percent hardware units share in the U.S., more than double of any other console.
The company plans to support this new pricing initiative through marketing activities covering print and online advertising, and in-store merchandising support. Print advertising breaks on April 27th and will reach millions of readers nationwide through placements in a variety of daily newspapers including the Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, New York Times and Philadelphia Inquirer. Online advertising will also begin on April 27th on sites such as AOL.
“While we continue to innovate and design groundbreaking new products, we remain dedicated to our long-term vision for the PlayStation 2 platform,” said Kaz Hirai, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “Now even more consumers, as well as casual gamers, can experience what the PlayStation 2 platform has to offer — an unrivaled combination of the largest selection of software, a growing community for online gaming and one-of-a-kind accessories such as EyeToy — at a new value price.”
- Sony's PlayStation 5 Pre-Order Model Is Actually Terrible | Digital Trends
- PS5 Release Date Confirmed: Major news revealed by Sony for PlayStation 5, Controller and more
- Epic wanted Sony’s PlayStation PC games to compete with Steam, documents show
- PS5 restock update: How to buy PlayStation 5 at Target, Best Buy and other major retailers
- Despite supply constraints, Sony sold 7.8 million PS5 consoles till March end
- Sony confirms it has sold over 7.8 million PS5 consoles since launch
- PS5 restock update: How to find a PlayStation 5 at Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy and other retailers
- More than 25 PlayStation 5 exclusive games in development, half are new IPs
- What Is PlayStation Plus? | Digital Trends
- Sony teams with Nike on PlayStation 5-themed sneakers
- PS5 Sold Out? Elon Musk Says Tesla S, X Models Have 'PlayStation 5 Level' Entertainment
- Best cheap PlayStation deals for June 2021
- Bharat Biotech cuts Covaxin's price from Rs 600 to Rs 400 per dose for states
- Breaking down the Coalition for App Fairness' issues with Apple
- PS5 price news confirms most PlayStation fans would pay more than the PS4, PS4 Pro or even the PS3
- Sony PlayStation 5 Event News: Every Announcement | Digital Trends
- Huge PS5 Days of Play sale will slash the price of Demon’s Souls and Spider-Man: Miles Morales this week
- PlayStation VR delivers a ‘full VR’ experience you can actually afford
- Sony faces lawsuit over alleged “monopoly pricing” of PlayStation downloads
- Sony U-turn: Horizon Forbidden West, Sackboy, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, coming to PS4
Breaking: Sony Cuts PlayStation 2 Price To $129 have 469 words, post on www.gamasutra.com at April 20, 2006. This is cached page on Game Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.